Sodium Percarbonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Hi all I have been on the look out for sodium percarbonate can't find any place round Brisbane. The only place on line is from China min 2 ton. Does any one know the shipping laws with chemicals? It would be a great bulk buy. Or any help on where to buy some.

Ring these Guys at Redcliffe (Clontarf) industrial Estate

Sampson Chemical Products
29 Huntington Street, Clontarf QLD 4019
(07) 3283 4511

I'm pretty sure that's where Sully got the last BB lot from. About $90 for a sack at that time, not sure if 20 or 25 kilos

Post the results if you can get some, you might get a few guys in with you (I'd be up for half a sack)

Beerbelly sell it by the kilo via mail order Mikey. Thats where I've been getting it

Ring these Guys at Redcliffe (Clontarf) industrial Estate

Sampson Chemical Products
29 Huntington Street, Clontarf QLD 4019
(07) 3283 4511

Gave them a call but missed the open hours. So will call tomorrow and see if i can get a deal and report back. Thanks

Err, pardon me for asking what might seem to be a bone question. Are you after 'pure' perc? If the answer is "no, I'm just looking to soak my bottles and brewing gear.", then why not get some napisan/ generic alternatives from the supermarket/ chemist warehouse like the rest of us? They're usually 30- odd% perc, seems to work fine for me.

Been using the aldi stuff my self but am finding i need to use 3+ cap fulls for a fermenter. It worked good on my new kegs but on my fermenter there is a yeast smell. I know that Sodium per is 100% green and won't hurt my trees so I want to stick with it. Plus i looking at saving a dollar.

go through the yellow pages and start calling cleaning supply companies. I did that and ended up getting a 25kg bag for $60 from a mob in newcastle.

Err, pardon me for asking what might seem to be a bone question. Are you after 'pure' perc? If the answer is "no, I'm just looking to soak my bottles and brewing gear.", then why not get some napisan/ generic alternatives from the supermarket/ chemist warehouse like the rest of us? They're usually 30- odd% perc, seems to work fine for me.

For the pure stuff you need to ask the columbians

anyone know where to get it in perth? i tried perth scientific and they almost ripped me a new one

Just go to your local IGA and find the cheap non scented no brand nappysan copy. The cheapest one they had contained the most sodium Percarbonate, go figure

I found that Redox had the best price a few years ago. A single bag (25kg) was about $3.30/kg + GST but i bought a few bags to share with my club and it came down to $2.20 + GST.

They are in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane.

http://www.redox.com/Contact/

I used to buy, use and recommend the cheapest unscented nappy soaker that could be found.

Then I bought a tub of PBW and fell in love - except for the price.

Then (on another day) I was persuaded to buy a kilo bag of sodium percarbonate from a HBS (G&G) and have never looked back. Others have spoken about nappy soakers, which all have 30-40% or thereabouts percarbonate. You're paying for fillers, detergents and stuff. I've lost my appetite for fillers...

I find that the HBS stuff rinses off easier than the nappy soakers, so it is easier to avoid any lingering aftertaste.

I would now recommend the HBS percarbonate for the majority of cleaning duties unless you're looking to clean aluminum and like to soak and don't like pitted metal finishes.

I've lost my appetite for fillers...

I find that the HBS stuff rinses off easier than the nappy soakers, so it is easier to avoid any lingering aftertaste.

You're not supposed to drink the stuff :huh:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

If you want to concoct something similar to PBW (more effective than straight Oxyper) and feel like tracking down some more chemicals, the following will work much better:

60% Sodium Percarbonate
30% Sodium Metasilicate
10% Disodium Phosphate

Sodium Metasilicate increases its effectivity and prevents the corrosion of metals like copper and aluminum that strong alkaline solutions can cause.
Disodium Phosphate is an Anticaking agent. is used in various industrial cleaning products, working as a disinfectant, fungicide and sanitizer. It is also used as a corrosion inhibitor.

Metasilicate is approx $3.50 per KG
Disodium Phos (Dihydrate) is approx $7.50 per KG

So essentially you can make something very similar to PBW (if you have the buying power of a club/group) for about 1/10th of the price.

Latest posts

Back