Sodium Percabonate

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fridge is about the last place i would put something to keep it dry.

I can think of much worse places. The air that is circulated through a fridge is actually very low in humidity It helps to keep things fresher by inhibiting the growth of mold.

Sodium percarb has antibacterial qualities, especially when mixed with hot water (which is how I generally use it). However it still needs to be rinsed so if you're into using no rinse sanitisers, I'd stick with them and use sodium percarb for cleaning.

@Screwy - If I can find pure SP I'll definitely use it. Any suggestions where? I know BribieG has some but his geriatric dementia laden mind always seems to forget where.

Yes a big blue bucket of it came down from heaven once upon a time after half a slab of Toucan headbanger. :blink: I checked with Caboolture Wholesalers a couple of weeks ago and they quoted $85 for a 25k bag. I was going to do a quick bulk buy just for Brisbane Northsiders or anyone who could pick up at a BABBs meeting, then I discovered that Sully had done one recently and hadn't contacted me because he thought I had heaps left from the first one (I do but I wouldn't mind getting ahead). I would just ring around any catering and cleaning supplies mob who do bulk disinfectants etc etc - a lot of local manufacturers buy the perc. in bulk to formulate their own "Ballarat Beauty Wonder Cleaner" or whatever so there's plenty of it bought and sold.
AFAIK when the perc has lost its available oxygen and stopped acting as an oxygen bleach it just becomes good old washing soda which is fairly innocuous and goes back into the ocean as sodium and carbonate ions, doesn't kill fish.

:icon_offtopic: I clean and dry my filter, then wrap it in Alfoil and it goes into a freezer bag and then into the freezer.

the brew supply shop i bought my filter set up from told me to do exactly that (minus the alfoil) but i cant be arsed so i just pop it back in the filter housing then sit it on the step at the back of my kegerator which is right next to the frig element so it ices up slightly.

cheers
matt

Yes a big blue bucket of it came down from heaven once upon a time after half a slab of Toucan headbanger. :blink: I checked with Caboolture Wholesalers a couple of weeks ago and they quoted $85 for a 25k bag. I was going to do a quick bulk buy just for Brisbane Northsiders or anyone who could pick up at a BABBs meeting, then I discovered that Sully had done one recently and hadn't contacted me because he thought I had heaps left from the first one (I do but I wouldn't mind getting ahead). I would just ring around any catering and cleaning supplies mob who do bulk disinfectants etc etc - a lot of local manufacturers buy the perc. in bulk to formulate their own "Ballarat Beauty Wonder Cleaner" or whatever so there's plenty of it bought and sold.
AFAIK when the perc has lost its available oxygen and stopped acting as an oxygen bleach it just becomes good old washing soda which is fairly innocuous and goes back into the ocean as sodium and carbonate ions, doesn't kill fish.

Batz's link looked pretty good. There's a couple of brewers near me that might make the postage drop down to make it extra worthwhile.

Batz's link looked pretty good. There's a couple of brewers near me that might make the postage drop down to make it extra worthwhile.

$6.40 for 400g ?? :eek: - I've never paid more than $4 a kilo. I'm sure you would be able to pick up a 25k bag locally in Melbourne for about a quarter of the price.

I might have a hunt but the above prices are cheaper than buying the diluted nappy stuff at the supermarket.

I'm a sprinkle and dash kind of a guy so I'd use a smaller sprinkle or dash than I currently do.

If I had to be more specific I'd say it would be a bit smaller.

I'm a sprinkle and dash kind of a guy so I'd use a smaller sprinkle or dash than I currently do.

If I had to be more specific I'd say it would be a bit smaller.

I'm guessing that there is no real danger in using a bit much.
But, if I was to use how much you use then that would be how much I would use so I'll just use what I would use.
From the sounds of it Manticle you cook the same way I do.

I'm guessing that there is no real danger in using a bit much.
But, if I was to use how much you use then that would be how much I would use so I'll just use what I would use.
From the sounds of it Manticle you cook the same way I do.

Because it has to be rinsed thoroughly I don't think you can use too much. It's obviously more economical to use no more than you need to.

Bum: depends on the weather.

reading the instructions on the pack of the beerbelly sodium percarbonate, it says to rinse it off.

Should the sodium perc I've been using (labeled as no-rinse) be rinsed off? I'll probably be buying some from beerbelly at that price.

Latest posts

Back