so I got a brewjob overseas!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droid

somewhere on the slippery slope with a beer in han
Reaction score
no i haven't but have been thinking about it...

we, as in, my mrs and I both have right of abode - having pommy parents, so without too much trouble we can spend some time in England, or even live there. As it happens my last name is linked to two Villages there and the Faulkland Arms Hotel is our local

we have 2 primary school kids and a house and a small mortgage and ... so much stuff/crap it's truly beyond belief!

then i think of Munich and brewing over there as some kind of assistant etc...but i don't know much German

the Mrs is an Anthropologist so she can get work here and there, though I would be happy to do the working at a good brewery for the experience

then there's the good ol' US of A, and we have close friends in Boston - Sam Adams has quite alot of work around the parts...

so...

what now? probably nuttin' but...

where would you go?

and why?

I so misread that thread title ...

... anyway, I'd be happy with somewhere that has great weather, is close to - or on the beach, thriving music scene, good area to bring up family. Where's that?

I'd go to glenorchy, work at MONA and brew beer on the weekends. I love my job, love my hobbies and love the separation between.

Is brewing something you want to do for a living?

JB said:

... anyway, I'd be happy with somewhere that has great weather, is close to - or on the beach, thriving music scene, good area to bring up family. Where's that?
I too misread the title.......

JB said:

lol - hey that sounds like somewhere in oz! or the left coast

manticle said:
I'd go to glenorchy, work at MONA and brew beer on the weekends. I love my job, love my hobbies and love the separation between.

Is brewing something you want to do for a living?
Mants - i haven't got a job at the moment and might be going though some kind of career crisis...

Huge expansion right now in the US in North Carolina, Asheville in particular. West Coast breweries are opening their second breweries there to cut shipping and deliver fresh beer to the East Coast. Even White Labs is opening a facility there. A few awesome music scenes within driving distance, four awesome seasons, lots of other industries in the State, good outdoor life, Southern culture (which is one of the good ones in the States)...if I were looking in the States that's where I'd look. I lived there for six months (chasing a girl) and it's one of the few places in the States I'd consider moving to.

Get your IBD certification if you're serious. Or work out how to go to Seibel Institute in Chicago.

JB said:

got all that here except maybe the music, not hiring brew my own, sorry can't help

Fair enough. If I had no job, I'd be thinking of all horizons.

However is there a likelihood of getting a job in brewing (experience, qualifications, etc)?
If you want to shift and setup somewhere else, I'd firstly look at whether you'd be happy living there and secondly whether the work would be there to support you (in your area of expertise/experience or an area into which you seriously want to move - If that's brewing then best of luck)

Additionally if it were me, I'd get the job, then move.

we've talked about doing a stint overseas before

i'd love to learn more about brewing but there aren't any opportunities locally and the Mrs wouldn't move to Melbs - it sounds weird but she'd consider moving to somewhere o/seas for a bit. and then there's that feeling of having to make use of the rite of abode because it is an opportunity many do not get

part of me wants a steady government job and part of me wants to do something more creative for once in my life

fact is i don't know what i want to do but thought if others provided their reasons for making decisions that might help

[SIZE=12pt]"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."[/SIZE]
Mark Twain

I also misread the title. It brought back great memories. Although, I didn't have a wife and 2 children with me at the time. If you really want to travel and work then England is the most practical in your situation. There's no guarantees as far as brewery work but at least you don't have employment eligibility issues to deal with. I like the Mark Twain line quoted above; maybe we could all benefit from filling our sails with the trade winds from time to time.

I considered a job in Canada a while back. There was a brewer or assistant opportunity in Winnipeg . I was not happy here and looking for an opportunity elsewhere. I decided not to apply after I was informed that the locals call it 'WINTER'peg.

Somewhat similarly, I had an opportunity to apply as an assistant brewer at Murrray's (about 15 minutes up the road), but the pay was not comparable to what I get in my 'safe' government job, plus I think maybe they thought I may not have been the go-getter they were looking for, after a chat with the incumbent brewer.

Here's a kicker too. Coopers offered 2 weeks iirc work experience at their site to members of the Coopers club who had any interest, so I faxed off my application. Heard nothing, so I decided to contact them a couple of weeks later. Seems they never got my app (damn fax at work). THEN, I was informed that they only got a few applications, so all 3 or 4 applicants were offered the opportunity. This is one reason I hate my workplace.

Good luck, Jonny. I genuinely wish you well. Don't mess things up like me.

Les

Les the Weizguy said:
I considered a job in Canada a while back. There was a brewer or assistant opportunity in Winnipeg . I was not happy here and looking for an opportunity elsewhere. I decided not to apply after I was informed that the locals call it 'WINTER'peg.

Somewhat similarly, I had an opportunity to apply as an assistant brewer at Murrray's (about 15 minutes up the road), but the pay was not comparable to what I get in my 'safe' government job, plus I think maybe they thought I may not have been the go-getter they were looking for, after a chat with the incumbent brewer.

Here's a kicker too. Coopers offered 2 weeks iirc work experience at their site to members of the Coopers club who had any interest, so I faxed off my application. Heard nothing, so I decided to contact them a couple of weeks later. Seems they never got my app (damn fax at work). THEN, I was informed that they only got a few applications, so all 3 or 4 applicants were offered the opportunity. This is one reason I hate my workplace.

Good luck, Jonny. I genuinely wish you well. Don't mess things up like me.

Les
Who still uses faxes.

wynnum1 said:
Who still uses faxes.
So, it was 14 or more years ago. Seems that many government departments still use faxes. I was asked to fax it to them. I almost named the department I work for, but I know they troll the webs looking for any reference and I don't need to give anyone an excuse to find fault with me (... said reference to hating my workplace).

Is that all you got from my post?

Take heed of another good proverb. 'Swift and resolute action leads to success, self doubt leads to disaster' Joseph Addison.
Don't throw it open to discussion, it will only confuse you, follow your own instinct.

Droid don't you live an area with high unemployment and live a fair distance from the big smoke..a move might be better

Ahhh, Commonwealth work opps. Vancouver, British Columbia is a fantastic city with a great beer scene. Fair bit of rain, but that place is astonishingly beautiful.

I certainly appreciate the thoughts

I left my contract job to spend more time with my kids which has been great. 75% of the family unit are very happy here, 50% of the family unit are at a School that they 100% love, 50% of the working family unit are happy in their job and supporting the whole family right now

I have to put other people before me and up-rooting everyone could be something I never forgive myself for later if things didn't work out

Andrew you have said it before and your question has caused me to really ask what i want to do for work and what is my hobby, I was looking at a brewing job this morning at Grand Ridge which I don't have qualifications for but thought there may be an opportunity as an assistant at some point. Then I thought hang on that's 2.5 hours from here, I may as well be working in the city and either way, not with the family...which was the reason for getting out of my last long term work situation

I had a an early walk around the golf course today, someone whispered to me. Maybe the Mrs can take some long service leave and we can go for three months and come back to at least one job and the kids back to their school ...

...and in the meantime I could do some volunteer work at the golf course.

It's not time to panic or do something without considering the consequences that may affect any one of, or, all of us

Nothing like hanging out the washing hey?

Latest posts

Back