So, I fell asleep....during a boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottle it and sell it as syrup. I'd buy some for pancakes

VP Brewing said:
Rule number one: No beers before mash out.
There is so much bad information on the net... Why add to it?

It's mash IN mate, mash IN!!

;)

My RIS comes out at 1.135 regularly, to get that going, much as LC suggests, I do 2 x 3Lt starters, decant and pitch the slurry onto 10Lt and give a massive hit with the paint stirrer and repeat at 12 hours, at the 12 hour I'll pitch another full cube into it. This will generally go off like a rocket, I've had 60point drops over a few days but expect it to slow. I finish at about 1.025-30 with the upper end being more normal.

As Mardoo has said, have a cake standing by to get an extra 10 points with, can be almost anything at that point as long as it's healthy it largely won't matter. I've needed to do this a few times now, once you get up over %12 it really starts to get fun.

099 is a good choice but don't think you can add it after the bulk of the simple sugars are gone, it's a pretty hostile environment and they won't/Don't/didn't like it at all. Add at the start with your choice of yeast or better yet have a cake of it standing by for best effect

VP Brewing said:
Rule number one: No beers before mash out.
You must have an old rule book. That practice died out in the 1930s along with the Temperance movement.

Obviously pick an alcohol--tolerant yeast, maybe even a wine yeast recommended for especially high alcohol tolerance. Then maybe borrow a trick from winemakers who add sugar, concentrate or baskets of botrytised grapes as fermentation proceeds, so that the sugar level does not get too high. Dilute part of the wort until it's well within the range the yeast is supposed to tolerate. When the beer is at high krausen start adding the remaining 1.165 wort, and continue adding increments. When fermentation seems to die down in spite of the additions, stopping or continuing towards gooey sweetness is your call.

You won't get 22 per cent, but winemakers get up to 17 this way.

Sanitation could be a challenge. Reheat and rechill wort? Trust your cube? Dunno. Winemakers work with lower pH than beer has. If you have lactic or some other food-grade acid you could lower pH a few tenths. Some sourness would balance the sweetness anyway.

Yob said:
challenge accepted
Good luck, bur if you go for higher and succeed, I'll insist on a sample before crowning you.

Boston Brewing Co. did an uncarbonated 17 percent beer using the stepped additions I recommended above. My kind nephew sent me a bottle for Christmas, and it was sinfully delicious. Then BB isolated a superhigh abv yeast strain and got to 24 percent. At a price of almost a hundred dollars a bottle, my nephew and I passed. It got mostly bad reviews anyway, but the yeast is under study for ethanol production. I believe that brew still holds the record for highest abv if one does not count ice beers.

Yob said:
challenge accepted
So what are the rules for this challenge? I assume no freeze concentration allowed?

I guess this extends to other concentration methods so sticking the beer through my RO would be cheating.

BTW how are we going to measure the alcohol?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
So what are the rules for this challenge? I assume no freeze concentration allowed?

I guess this extends to other concentration methods so sticking the beer through my RO would be cheating.

BTW how are we going to measure the alcohol?
Fractional distillation. I'm buying lab glassware and a mantle

Ross at Craft brewer has the gear to measure acurately send him a bottle. I do note he aint posted here in a bit though.

Latest posts

Back