So, I fell asleep....during a boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I realise the idea of this "competition" is to produce a 20% beer using HB equipment and all grain methods, but I would still think taste should come into it. So say score the beer as per but with the added deductions for being under 20%, obviously cosdog would now only be able to adjust AA and flavour with Iso-hops and Yobs hop shots of joy.

Each participant send 2 bottles; 1 for ABV testing and 1 to be appraise and scored by 3 members a local recognised brew club (so take along to your monthly brew club meeting to be scored).
Or if one of the state bodies want to add it to the annual state comp next year and allow all comers for this particular beer. (this would be cool but prolly unlikely)

Hey gents.

I have a yeast cake of WhiteLabs English Ale which has demolished two batches of 1070 porter (a big porter :)) and it is about 60mm thick. It delivered a very healthy dose of Oxygen in the wort each time and I think they're happy creatures by my guess.

I'm interested to know if the rate of sugar consumption would happen sufficiently quick that the yeast would achieve attenuation before dying from exposure to the ethanol?
efa73ac8f973d0c9f84721d36dfbc409.jpg

Well I recon have a crack and report back with the findings!

Yeah and while you have round one yeasties doing their thing it may be wise to grow up a decent colony of some higher alcohol tollerant strain to finish with. Oh and add nutrient to your pitch and the stir plate.

Cosdog vs Yob, one ring and nowhere to hide - just get it over and done with sometime in our lifetime - the Battle of the Bitches...

LAGERFRENZY said:
Cosdog vs Yob, one ring and nowhere to hide - just get it over and done with sometime in our lifetime - the Battle of the Bitches...
Ummm yea LF

PXdYoge.gif

Yob said:
is this the big one youre aiming at?
Yeah it is mate.

I like malt junkie's plan. And I will probably pitch the SHG before ferment stalls with the English Ale yeast. My SHG starter will begin today and I'll aim to pitch into the wort next week. Throw the wort on the cake Thursday night with Oxygen and nutrient.

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Yeah it is mate.

I like malt junkie's plan. And I will probably pitch the SHG before ferment stalls with the English Ale yeast. My SHG starter will begin today and I'll aim to pitch into the wort next week. Throw the wort on the cake Thursday night with Oxygen and nutrient.
Hey Manticle and MHB,

Just thinking about the autolysis convo in the other thread... Knowing the alcohol will exceed the specifications of the English Ale, would I actually be stuffing up the beer with a massive hit of dead EA yeast?

Thinking again, Sticking with the SHG will probably be a better decision. Opinions welcome.

and a huge bro hug to lagerfrenzy. :beer:

If you were using a conical you'd just dump the yeast, however I'd go with the big english pitch(plenty of O2 and nutrient), let it run through till it starts to settle, then rack half to the SHG wait for it to kick and rack the rest. Oxygen take up on transfer shouldn't be an issue, the SHG should eat that up. Sanitation is key as always.

Treat it like a stalled ferment.

If you had a pale lying about I'd pitch the SHG on it with nutrient and use that big ass cake.

It's purely a matter of too much healthy yeast is barely enough when it comes to high gravity worts.

Thanks mate, alright, I'll track that way. I indeed do have a cube of pale here ready to go!

Ive got my brew mapped out, I know what I'm brewing, how I'm fermenting it and with what.. just a little hazy on the rules..

Adjuncts allowable?
Enzymes?
Wine or bourbon yeast? (as additional if required)

we should break this out to a separate thread with rules in the OP for ease of folks finding it in future ?

zorsoc_cosdog said:
Hey Manticle and MHB,

Just thinking about the autolysis convo in the other thread... Knowing the alcohol will exceed the specifications of the English Ale, would I actually be stuffing up the beer with a massive hit of dead EA yeast?

Thinking again, Sticking with the SHG will probably be a better decision. Opinions welcome.

and a huge bro hug to lagerfrenzy. :beer:
If building a big starter from another beer, I'd be getting high abv tolerant yeast, as fresh as possible and pitching into a pale coloured, low hopped lower gravity table type beer. Rinse the yeast from that and use in an active starter.

I'd also look at techniques like drauflaussen, proper oxygenation (measured) and gradual feeding.

Latest posts

Back