So, I fell asleep....during a boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zorsoc_cosdog said:
Fractional distillation. I'm buying lab glassware and a mantle
I have an IRS condenser and appropriate ancillaries on the way.

I also have access to an Anton Paar alcoliser for validation (or samples if I ask really, really nicely).

Sorry.

For those not familiar with the techniques used for measuring alcohol, the ASBC standard method was distillation using a standardised condenser, which became known as an IRS or "internal revenue" condenser because it was used to assess alcohol level for payment of excise. Proper name is a Graham condenser:

GL-D200-400%20Graham%20Condensor.jpg

Once the alcohol is distilled over, the sample is brought back to original volume and the density is measured with a hydrometer or pycnometer. The latter is more accurate but much harder to use, most people use a hydrometer.

If you set this up for a brewery above the level at which the appropriate agency* insists on measurement rather than calculation (IIRC it's 0.5 Ml PA) you go through a procedure where you provide a measurement from your lab which is cross checked by AGAL. Once they accept that your measurements are OK you no longer have to get the separate check before you pay excise, you can just fill out the appropriate form (? Nature40 ? it's a long time since I did this) with your value.

This may sound like a lot of palaver but Abby alone pays almost a billion dollars a year in excise, the allowable variation in measurement (0.2% ABV) represents something like +/- $50million PA. They really want to know that you have the right number.

* used to be customs and excise, probably now Border Farce.

Ill put this down..

I can get to %14 with just AG.. Im sure with careful additions and care I can push to %18 and then do "other things" like racking onto cake and more additions to get over %20

wont be easy and is a time consuming thing, but Im pretty sure I can nudge it without adding enzyme (but should be allowed?)

Time is the issue.. those sorts of ferments take so much extra care and control..

should we break this out into a challenge thread and have a AHB comp/mini swap?

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
I have an IRS condenser and appropriate ancillaries on the way.

I also have access to an Anton Paar alcoliser for validation (or samples if I ask really, really nicely).
Yeah, well I just ordered litmus paper from Hong Kong.

And I'm getting laid tonight.

Yob said:
Ill put this down..

I can get to %14 with just AG.. Im sure with careful additions and care I can push to %18 and then do "other things" like racking onto cake and more additions to get over %20

wont be easy and is a time consuming thing, but Im pretty sure I can nudge it without adding enzyme (but should be allowed?)

Time is the issue.. those sorts of ferments take so much extra care and control..

should we break this out into a challenge thread and have a AHB comp/mini swap?
Let's go!

OP with the rule list. I'll spend my 16 on this game. Plus I'll decant off 1000ml (4 x 250ml) and send it to players to cross check my og and compare to my fg when I give up.

Mr B said:
Dont stay too long or she'll fall asleep

;)
Yep, leaving that safely on the shelf....
Other players may de-shelve... But right now, I'm shelving this.... Opportunity

OK

Plan of attack it

Grow the cake!: Brew a beer of reasonable strength, say 1075. My wife likes hops for spring / summer so only a little bittering hops, whirlpool thoroughly, screen the wort prior to pitch of 099.
Drain and dry hop with Equinox.... Sensational

Maybe rinse the yeast with boiled, cooled water and prepare the cake. Decant half the cake as my plan B pitch.

Dilute my syrup 50% for a litre (giving 2l) and let my 099 know what the story is. Gradual addition of 100% wort then on being very careful of sanitation with the opened cube. Keep adding and watching ferment behaviour

Backup plan: Wine family yeasts, The Plan B 099 cake with it being gradually fed 100ml of 100% wort each day in parallel with the main ferment. Any other yeast I want whenever I want.

Overall approach. O2 additions prior to every wort addition and a lot each time, 30-45 seconds of flow - more if I want.
Yeast nutrient at kick off.

Grow the cake at 18 degC with the clean summer beer.

For the game, start ferment at 18 degC and raise them to 20 degC over 2 days after 5 days.

Of course I want to beat Yob and LC with this. My objective is a 20% beer. Don't care if this ferment takes 4 weeks.

250ml Wort and 250ml Beer for verification to LC and Yob. Their 250s to me.
I'm going to use fractional distillation to determine ethanol content. Again, ethanol volume from a 250ml sample. LC, Yob to guide on rules and procedures for suitable techniques.

Success criteria for players?

Beer over 20%, then maximum attenuation achieved. Prize for highest ABV as well.
FG to be <1039....because it is a prime number... Why?//// Well Why not.!

Only the three of us with a spark of interest thus far. How about Tuesday 1st of November as the commencement of the competition. Target for ferment finish, End of November?

I need a reliable method for determining OG gents.

How about competition rules like:
1: Post your ferment methodology
2: Post your updates, adjustments to your processes.
3: If you have a transparent fermenter, install a hydrometer and take ferment readings

Dunno.... just thinking out loud.

Is the result supposed to be drinkable? Enjoyable?

We'll definitely need some sensory evaluation reports.

yeast determines the product - if you are using wine yeasts/champagne etc...can you call it beer? we are talking about making beer no?

I can think of a couple of ways to get pretty high (18%) but the techniques would mean much more time required than one month

I think you'd have to split the competition into *beer yeast only = total abv highest % = winner
other yeast added = total abv highest % = winner ... bu not really beer anymore so who cares

Well I guess my point is where do you draw the line - or is there no line?

It's apparently a bit trendy in the States now to ferment some beers on wine yeast. I'd guess the definition comes down more to the ingredients comprising the wort/must. But then, brewers make wort, yeast makes beer...

I don't know about enzyme additions. I think that approach should be excluded. Only sugars from grain.

All pH and salt additions OK.
Nutrient OK
Cock slapping the fermenter for luck OK

zorsoc_cosdog said:
I don't know about enzyme additions. I think that approach should be excluded. Only sugars from grain.
could argue that the sugars are still from AG just being cleaved up by something other than mash enzyme.

I might need to be outside the times proposed.. I find it difficult to get the time to brew and this is VERY specific and will need much attention.

Latest posts

Back