Smurto's Golden Ale - Rediscovered!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loikar

Reaction score
Found one of these last night, tucked away in a drawer (I have bottles hidden all over the place). Was an extract version.

Drinking it now, it's about 12-14 weeks old I reckon.

It's like Nectar!!! I can't believe I have brewed a beer that tastes this good!!
Definitely being bumped up the "To Brew" list!

Smurto, you are a Genius!!!

BF

Sounds good bloke,

did you use this recipe or what?

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Cheers

I was meant to be brewing the extract version this weekend, but due to the home brew shop being shut I cant do it.

Looking forward to it already

Cheers

Robbo

Sounds good bloke,

did you use this recipe or what?

KIT VERSION
1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g Caramalt (or other light crystal)
15g Amarillo @ 15, 5 and dry hop.
Yeast - US05

Cheers

Brew Book says:

1 tin of Black rock LME
1.6Kg of Dry Wheat Malt
250g Crystal steeped for 45 in 3L, sparged with 2L

14L boil
20g Amarillo @ 60
15g Amarillo @ 15
15g Amarillo @ 5
Everything else in at Flameout to dissolve

23L batch

Left Over Safale US05 from a JSGA clone

10 days in Primary
10 days in secondary

OG 1047
FG 1010

5.2% in the bottle

and it's all gone :angry:

uh huh.... Im going to try this for sure

No one carries damn wheat malt tho argghhhh

The above recipe was one of the last extract brews I did before jumping to AG. Only difference is that i used a coopers Canadian Blond can instead of the unhopped LLME

Was a very well recieved and unfortunately quickly drunk keg!!!

Cheers SJ

I'm looking foward to when my DSGA bottles are conditioned, I just bottled my first extract batch of this last night.

I couldent get us-05 at the time (only s-04), and Dr. Smurto advised me to doubble my hops (so I did, ended up using 90g amarillo all up). Smelt awsome.

I'm looking foward to when my DSGA bottles are conditioned, I just bottled my first extract batch of this last night.

I couldent get us-05 at the time (only s-04), and Dr. Smurto advised me to doubble my hops (so I did, ended up using 90g amarillo all up). Smelt awsome.

Mine was bloody fantastic - best beer I've brewed yet ...very well recieved. Now trying the TTLA clone from Dr Smurto...

:icon_chickcheers:

Ok Heres what I Boiled up today

1.5kg Coopers Wheat
1.5kg Morgans Caramalt Blend
250g Dried wheat malt
2 Plugs US Cascade @ 25mins
2 Plugs US Casade @ 10mins
12g US-05 Yeast.

mmmmmmmmmm, smells sexy

Ok Heres what I Boiled up today

1.5kg Coopers Wheat
1.5kg Morgans Caramalt Blend
250g Dried wheat malt
2 Plugs US Cascade @ 25mins
2 Plugs US Casade @ 10mins
12g US-05 Yeast.

mmmmmmmmmm, smells sexy

Cool, you got the Wheat malt then Wisey.
Looks like a cracker!
Cascade sounds nice, but IMHO, Amarillo for this on all the way.
Either way, let it condition for as long as you can, mine was sooooooo much better after the 12 weeks.

Got an Extract LCBA to do once I finalise my recipe and then im doing the DSGA again!

How bloody good is this brewing caper?!

BF

Hey guys!

After about 4 days of solid browsing and reading :blink: I think it's time to give this extract brewing a go. I've done 3 K&K brews and then found these forums.

I think I've got the main ideas sorted just a few questions if ya don't mind. Oh and Dr Smurto's seems to be highly recommended so I'll give it a crack.

I've got:

1 x Thomas coopers malt
1 x Thomas coopers wheat malt
1 x Safale us-05

about to order the crystal and hops.

So....I steep the grain first and should end up with about 4-5L. Then add both cans to that and top up to 14L. Add the hops, boil for an hour adding hops when necessary etc etc ?

I've seen some extract recipes where only half a can and a few litres of water are used for the boil. Is there much difference? Did you boil up both cans?

And regarding the yeast do I give it a stir or just let it sit on top?

Thanks for all the great info!!
cheers :beer:

Corcatraz,

You wont be disapointed by this brew, put my first one down Tuesday night and smelt fantastic.

For your boil volume for the hops, if you are boiling in 14l you would want around 1.67 kg of Liquid malt, according to the Kits and Bits spreadsheet.
In 10 litres, you would want 1.15kg of liquid malt.
This is to get the best hop utilisation, am sure someone will explain it better than me for you though

Cheers

Robbo

Corcatraz,

You wont be disapointed by this brew, put my first one down Tuesday night and smelt fantastic.

For your boil volume for the hops, if you are boiling in 14l you would want around 1.67 kg of Liquid malt, according to the Kits and Bits spreadsheet.
In 10 litres, you would want 1.15kg of liquid malt.
This is to get the best hop utilisation, am sure someone will explain it better than me for you though

Cheers

Robbo

Ahh I see. So there is an actual ratio being used for these amounts. I'll have to check out the spreadsheet. Cant wait to give it a try!!!

Thanks mate,
Corcatraz

Essentially, you want your boil gravity to be the same as your Original gravity before pitching your yeast, but honestly, it's not absolutly essential.

So your calculations would be about right Robbo.

When boiling hops make sure your pot has shit loads of head room.

Once you add hops the boil goes mad.

So....I steep the grain first and should end up with about 4-5L. Then add both cans to that and top up to 14L. Add the hops, boil for an hour adding hops when necessary etc etc ?

The dr. gave me an easy method way back when I was JSGA Fan (this is for the extract version):
Steep 250g grain in 1 litre of water at 65 degree (to get 65 you put 2 parts boiling to 1 part tap temp) for 30-60 mins, then strain into your large pot with metal strainer, pour an extra litre of cold water through the strainer that still has the grain in it (into pot), add another 2 lires of water into large pot (now bringing your pot up to 4 litres).
Now you can bring the large pot up to boil, once boiling start your hop timer and chuck in first bacth of hops (for smurtos GA I think its 15g amarillo)
Once you've finished the hop boil dissolve the rest of the fermentables in your pot, if its big enough, if not, put them into your fermenter with the hop and caramalt mixture.

When boiling hops make sure your pot has shit loads of head room.

Once you add hops the boil goes mad.

Yeah, I use a 19 litre pot, plenty of headspace for extract brews

Thanks for the info guys!! I'll put it together this weekend. Should be a beauty!

Then of course the hard part...waiting :p

mine is just finishing its ferment :)

MMMMMMMMMMMM, still needs some crystal for body tho.

Ahhh well next time I will have it.

Latest posts

Back