Smurto's Golden Ale - Rediscovered!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine's been in the fermenter for 1 week now.

OG 1042
SG 1013

Fermented in old fridge between 17.5 and 22 degrees.

Smells and tastes very nice! Very citrusy/fruity aroma.

Very golden and slightly orange juice coloured but should be good!

Will leave it until the FG is stable plus a week.

It's going to be hard to leave the bottles for a month!

Bottled for 6 days now and starting to clear up in the bottle. Nice golden colour as described.

What's the optimum time for drinking this from those who've brewed this before?

Should be good from 1 month? Can be drunk earlier and when does the flavour/aroma start to fall off?

Cheers.

Mine definitively improved after 4-5 weeks. Yesterday I had a couple of stubbies that I found (10 weeks). The aroma and flavour was great!! Although, I still can't manage to make it last longer than that...

Bottled for 6 days now and starting to clear up in the bottle. Nice golden colour as described.

What's the optimum time for drinking this from those who've brewed this before?

Should be good from 1 month? Can be drunk earlier and when does the flavour/aroma start to fall off?

Cheers.

I find this beer goes from an APA (although not hoppy enough) fresh to a balanced english summer ale after a few months when the hops fade and the malt comes through.

Could just be me though :icon_drunk:

I find this beer goes from an APA (although not hoppy enough) fresh to a balanced english summer ale after a few months when the hops fade and the malt comes through.

Could just be me though :icon_drunk:

G'day,
Am planning the GA as a first foray outside basic K&K, and just checking the process - I assume I just follow advice I found in an earlier thread, which read:

Steep 250g grain in 1 litre of water at 65 degree (to get 65 you put 2 parts boiling to 1 part tap temp) for 30-60 mins, then strain into your large pot with metal strainer, pour an extra litre of cold water through the strainer that still has the grain in it (into pot), add another 2 lires of water into large pot (now bringing your pot up to 4 litres).
Now you can bring the large pot up to boil, once boiling start your hop timer and chuck in first bacth of hops (for smurtos GA I think its 15g amarillo)
Once you've finished the hop boil dissolve the rest of the fermentables in your pot, if its big enough, if not, put them into your fermenter with the hop and caramalt mixture.

Cheers

Now you can bring the large pot up to boil, once boiling start your hop timer and chuck in first bacth of hops (for smurtos GA I think its 15g amarillo)
Once you've finished the hop boil dissolve the rest of the fermentables in your pot, if its big enough, if not, put them into your fermenter with the hop and caramalt mixture.

Cheers

[/quote]

looks about right but before you add any hops you need to add 450g of your liquid wheat malt extract to the pot for correct hops utilisation, if you don't it'll be too bitter. "put them into your fermenter with the hop and caramalt mixture.",.... any hops should be in the pot already, put the can of goo in the fermenter [I assume u are doing with can of coopers sparkling] and add whats in the pot and top up with water. I would throw a couple of kilos of ice in too or your gonna be too hot to pitch your yeast. Cheeers :icon_cheers:

Cheers

looks about right but before you add any hops you need to add 450g of your liquid wheat malt extract to the pot for correct hops utilisation, if you don't it'll be too bitter. "put them into your fermenter with the hop and caramalt mixture.",.... any hops should be in the pot already, put the can of goo in the fermenter [I assume u are doing with can of coopers sparkling] and add whats in the pot and top up with water. I would throw a couple of kilos of ice in too or your gonna be too hot to pitch your yeast. Cheeers :icon_cheers:

Thanks Glaab, much appreciated

no probs, should turn out nice. also the "extra litre of cold water through the strainer that still has the grain in it (into pot)" would be better if it was a couple of litres of 70C water to wash out any remaining sugar but I doubt it'll make much difference, I've made it without the grain and it was excellent anyway.

no probs, should turn out nice. also the "extra litre of cold water through the strainer that still has the grain in it (into pot)" would be better if it was a couple of litres of 70C water to wash out any remaining sugar but I doubt it'll make much difference, I've made it without the grain and it was excellent anyway.

cool, tks...so couple of litres of boiling water through the strainer to do the trick?
and also, when you mentioned ice before, just normal bagged ice ok?

cool, tks...so couple of litres of boiling water through the strainer to do the trick?
and also, when you mentioned ice before, just normal bagged ice ok?

"Through the strainer" is problematical. There is a thing called Hot Side Aeration or HSA for short.
Some may argue it's very hard to cause, others warn it's easy.

When straining you run a serious risk of oxidising the hot brew. Now cold oxidation before fermenting is great,
but hot oxidation is bad. The oxygen comes back to haunt you many months later, and helps destroy the flavours
of the beer. I have a 3 year old Pale Ale that's as black as the ace of spades and tastes like a glass of bad sherry,
and all I did was strain some hops, not even grain.

You need to find a way of washing the sugars off the grain letting the brew drain violently out of the bottom of the strainer.

And NOT boiling water, mix 2 parts boiling to one part tap water to get something near 70 deg C,
or get a thermometer from the brew shop.

And I don't trust bagged ice, make your own in a sanitised container with a lid. I use old ice-cream containers.

You need to find a way of washing the sugars off the grain letting the brew drain violently out of the bottom of the strainer.

Cheers for that info....learning heaps as I go!
Any suggestions re your washing the sugars reference?
Tks in advance...

I doubt HSA would be a problem if he's straining into the pot, the boil would drive off any oxygen pretty quickly, which is why we airrate just before pitching yeast.

I brewed this except I bought 100g of Amarillo so I decided to use them. I boiled 30g @ 10 & 30g @ 5 then dry hopped the other 40. I had a taste out of the fermenter & wanted to drink all 23 litres there & then. It was fermenting at 26 due to a lack of any decent way to control me temperature in an Adelaide summer. I bought all of the ingredients today so when I've got an empty fermenter I'll have everything ready to go again.

My first DSGA is currently no chilling and I'm getting ready to pitch.

The recipe says US05. I have both US05 and WY1272 (American ale 2) in the fridge.

Would you recommend going with the US05 as the recipe says, or would the 1272 be an improvement?

I'd go with 1272 if you have plenty of room in FV just in case it takes off

Thanks Helles. I'll wack in the 1272 in the morning when it's chilled.
Cheers

Just wait fellahs, Beerfingers is a kit brewing whore, I am sure he'll have some pearls for you.

G'day Malted. You've pointed out the flaw in my post. I've put down an AG, but posted to a K&K thread. I think that I'll use the 1272. Cheers.

Back