Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah - I'm guessing the 100C around the vent is quite a lot lower than what the ribs are seeing. I ordered 2 of the ET732 and it was sorted through LA on Sunday.

I know that 3-2-1 is only a guide and that the times depend on the cook temp and meat temp - so does anyone have a link to good instructions which describe the signs or temps of when each stage is reached? Got have the pack of ribs in the freezer and may have another go this weekend.

Stux said:
Probably have been a good idea to measure the temp on the grill where the ribs were

Also those dial thermometers can be terribly inaccurate

My Maverick 732 just arrived yesterday :)

Where did you get it from Stux & how much if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers
Robbo

cdbrown said:
Yeah - I'm guessing the 100C around the vent is quite a lot lower than what the ribs are seeing. I ordered 2 of the ET732 and it was sorted through LA on Sunday.

I know that 3-2-1 is only a guide and that the times depend on the cook temp and meat temp - so does anyone have a link to good instructions which describe the signs or temps of when each stage is reached? Got have the pack of ribs in the freezer and may have another go this weekend.
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

cdbrown said:

i've read quite a few reports online that suggest that baby back ribs, (is that what you cooked ?) should be done something like 2-1-1 at 225F

i dont know if we slaugher our pigs smaller here, but all the ribs i see here look smaller than what the yanks have

i bought six racks last friday that i froze, and will be cooking them australia day, and i am also umming about the cooking time (4.2kg / 6 racks = 700g each on average) dont know how that stacks up to the yanks

I see that our ribs look a lot smaller too. What's worse is the butchers seem to like to scrape all the meat off the bones too. Lots of shiners

donburke said:
i've read quite a few reports online that suggest that baby back ribs, (is that what you cooked ?) should be done something like 2-1-1 at 225F

i dont know if we slaugher our pigs smaller here, but all the ribs i see here look smaller than what the yanks have

i bought six racks last friday that i froze, and will be cooking them australia day, and i am also umming about the cooking time (4.2kg / 6 racks = 700g each on average) dont know how that stacks up to the yanks
That would make a lot of sense. Definitely a case of too long and most likely too hot as well with the wrong placement of the probe. Will have to try the 2-1-1 next time. The 3kg pack had 6 lots of racks in there which I used 3. Might just go for a pile of heat beads on one side rather than a snake as the ends of the ribs were getting direct heat due to lack of space.

robbo5253 said:
Where did you get it from Stux & how much if you dont mind me asking?
Cheers
Robbo
I got mine from the same ebay seller, but went for the 10% for multibuy. So $63 landed each unit.

I'm running off bad memory (bloody beer) here, but I think for ribs, 3-2-1, the 3 is to 165 F, then the 2 should be 195 F, the 1 is really just to dry em out and I think 205 f ?

I now go 2-1-2-1..

@ 107 deg.

2 hours of smoke.
1 hour without smoke
2 Hours wrapped in foil
1 hour out - maybe step the temp up if needed.

Perfect.

That baby back style, with a good rub over night.

Most important, remove the sinew!!

Soak those chip kids!

heres one from earlier tonight
a butterfly lamb roast that i stuffed and rolled with haloumi, Prosciutto and feta that i rolled and rubbed with a spice mix out of my cupboard
before
8C6B2893.jpg

after a couple of hours in the smoker
14B7A72B.jpg

and sliced
388EF10D.jpg

was bloody delicious, even the wife went back for a second helping something she doesnt normally do.

Looks like I'll be a proud owner of the offset Hark TriFire tomorrow. Hopefully I can do the burn in before the weekend.

cdbrown said:
Looks like I'll be a proud owner of the offset Hark TriFire tomorrow. Hopefully I can do the burn in before the weekend.

WOOT WOOT!

Awesome CBD - report back with your findings.. /smokings!

Pork Spare Ribs for the smoker: Some questions.

Stuff all meat on the rib bones was an issue I tried to tackle but this left me with more questions than answers.
So I bought a big ole bit of belly with the ribs still on that was 3.5kg before I molested it. I was thinking ribs for me, belly for the missus (and me).
Before.jpg
My conclusion is that it was the wrong cut for either belly or ribs, or the animal was too small. I would like to learn more about it because that is a pretty loose conclusion.

You can see the three cuts I got from it.
The green section shows what I trimmed from the ribs and is only a couple of mm thick. Perhaps I should have trimmed the skin and fat and a layer of meat from the bones instead of trimming the bones away from the rest. Perhaps If I had of included the next layer of meat (shown by the red) it would have left me with some meatier bones.
3 cuts.jpg

You can clearly see that to the right there are short ribs. Perhaps the 'ribs' that one buys are the section to the left (plus some) instead of the short ribs to the right. I might have made a poor choice by getting this section of long and short ribs. Watching Youtube clips of ribs being prepared for the BBQ, they follow the cartilage on the ends of the bones and end up with a long rectangular section. I followed the cartilage around and thus you can see the short ribs clearly.
The bit beyond the short ribs to the right (that the butcher cut off, might have been meatier but I didn't get a good look). If I was specifically after a meaty piece of pork belly would it be from the right of the short ribs or more towards the nipples?
Ribs.jpg

Here is the membrane pulled off the ribs.
When I pulled the membrane off it did not want to come off the green enclosed section although I did not force the issue because I did not want to waste anymore potential meat from that section.
Membrane from Ribs.jpg

I think I probably should have just cut the skin and a layer of fat off and just called it meaty ribs (is this what 'country style' ribs are?) To get ribs like we see our American BBQ peeps using, I'd say that the carcase needs to be cut specifically for that section. In the picture below, I have indicated in red, how perhaps a carcase might be cut to get the nice rectangular section of ribs.
Pork Primal Cuts.jpg

So my questions are, where does one get the meatiest pork belly from, where do the best spare ribs come from, should I have cut the skin and fat from the bone instead of cutting the bone away from the rest (to give me meatier spare ribs since ours don't seem very meaty). Maybe I need to find a butcher who slaughters bigger animals? Thoughts y'all?

I just ordered a whole pig ;)

The rib tips have a tendon or something in them. Not much fun eating around.

Getting all the ribs cut into thirds to get finger ribs.

Going to keep the belly with loin for makin bacon. Two shouldersgoing in the smoker for pulled pork too.

Will keep the hocks for my German wife ;)

And have swapped one of the legs with the butcher for one of his hams.

Now. I just need to upgrade my deep freeze... And then I get a 'new' keezer :)

Still gotta order the brisket!

My first foray into smoking meat!

Pork shoulder, rubbed overnight with a dry rub from BBQ pitboys site.

Ghetto style in the weber, kept it between 80-120 for the first two and half hours, smoking with hickory, then added more charcoal and let the temp ride up to 220' for two and a half hours. It was awesome. I have a feeling this is my new obsession :ph34r: I get to wet my wood, and rub my meat without anyone questioning my actions. It's a win-win!

Cheers to Cocko and others here for the advice.

109_2586_zps8deb1d72.jpg
109_2588_zps1b95a31c.jpg

Back