Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had the cash for the 6 rack Bradley Smoker

Just my opinions, others may not see it this way.

Good: The cooking element inside it seemed better than other brands. Supposedly they will cold smoke whilst others don't (I am sure the electric Hark would).
Bad: I had an eyeball of one and was put off by the fact that you have to use their bisquettes. I suppose you could open the door and put pellets etc onto the bisquette burner but that would make the smoker generator partially defunct. There is not much room to load up the bisquette burner though (part E), which has it's own element.
Undetermined: The smoker unit is powered, the bisquette burner is powered and the cooking element is powered. Possibly higher power use than others.

Bradley_Smoker.jpg

Our house orange soda bbq sauce is loosely based on the recipe below

2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup orange soda
1 oz cider vinegar
2 oz Worcestershire sauce
1 T golden syrup
2 t mustard sauce
1 T some kind of hot sauce

Combine all ingredients and gently heat to simmer. Hold simmer for 15 min or longer if you want to thicken the sauce.

I like to get the soda on a simmer and get it to reduce. I love that zingy citrus hit on the pork. Also i love hot sauce too, so i sneak some of the Blairs Hot Sauce range in there too.

Sauces are like brewing, everyone has their own favourite flavours and profiles. i love hot sweet sauces on my meat as they go well with the saltyness of the rub.

The greatest thing smoking has taught me is how to make cheap cuts of meat taste like top dollars.

Here is one of the best beef briskets I have managed
View attachment 57956

Thanks for the recipe, i'm printing it now. So you just use Fanta, or Sunkist or something for the orange soda? Or i have some of the cordial here for soda stream in orange?

I have a big half gallon of Louisianna Hot Sauce here, it's a vinegar based hot sauce, or do you mean the hotter tobasco style ones?

I have a big half gallon of Louisianna Hot Sauce here, it's a vinegar based hot sauce, or do you mean the hotter tobasco style ones?

I'd say Louisianna Hot Sauce would be on the money, but with any recipe it is open to interpretation and what YOU think might be nice.
Tabasco isn't that hot really, not when compared to the Blairs range that DrinkBeer mentioned... Check out the range of death sauces: http://blairshotsauce.com/

Tabasco, original = 2,500 Scoville Heat Units
Blairs Original Death Sauce = 30,000 SHU (about 12 times hotter than Tabasco regular)
Blairs Possible Side Effects Hot Sauce = 283,000 SHU
Blairs Ultra Death Sauce = 800,000 SHU

There are plenty of sites that list hot sauces Heat Rating. Here's one I looked at for the above info http://www.scottrobertsweb.com/scoville-scale.php

I've bought a few hot sauces recently to give some chilli heads a touch up at our next case swap. :ph34r: I don't much care for chilli myself but these hot sauces have me intrigued.

Ok,

The Hark electric is home and heating for curing.... Cleaned and sprayed with oil, as per instructions.

The Wood Chips bag says to soak wood and add wet, the Hark Manual say DON NOT USE WET CHIPS....

Which is it?

Looking for some quick advice, panicking! :unsure:

WOW - these things heat up quick!

It took 13 minutes to get from 16* to 110*....

I went dry chips BTW: Panic over.... Hopefully, I chose the right one... :(

Back to smoking....

A RACK OF LAMB?

I have googled my google out and can not find much info on smoking a rack of lamb, anyone?

I have found one site that said, 1-> 1 &1/2 hours on 'Low and Slow' but no temps or other tips..

Anyone got any good takes on a rack of lamb in an electric?

Orange Soda bbq sauce is best done with fanta or such brands. Cordial will work too but is more expensive. flat soda will work too.

Cocko - When cooking never cook by time. Always cook by internal temp of the meat you are cooking. As for chips, I get the block cuts that bbq galore sell as it suits my low and slow style better than chips. Plus there isnt much choice in Perth. On my smoker, chips dont last long enough. I also always soak the wood from anywhere from overnight to 30 mins before cook time. the reason you soak the wood it keep the wood at a below burning temp longer. You want the wood to smoke but not catch on fire, soaked wood assists this. I have never cooked with an electric smoker before (i use charcoal) but I am assuming they dont want you to use wet wood due to fire+electricity+water= possible death.

Easiest meat to learn on is pork shoulder or pork butt/collar. its hardy and you can practice several styles. As I said before, cook to internal temp. No matter how you cook whether it be in the ground, on a smoker or in an oven internal temp for the style you want is far more important than the time is cooks for. Also get used to the meat stall.

Cooking is way more fun when there is a chance you could ruin dinner!

It is not a rack, but I did a leg of lamb the other day with a little smoke. I made a quick crust from sumac, chilli and Beerenberg rib sauce and it was great. My partner reckoned it was the best lamb she had eaten, which might be a stretch, but it was definitely good.

Here is some snags and a salmon tail from yesterday on the Weber. Was about 5 hours with mesquite. The salmon was delicious.

I too have tried smoking sausages. Dammed if I can keep them alight!

Smoking_sausage.jpg

That makes me think of Bill Hicks' description of rockstars against drugs.

Sausage.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Orange Soda bbq sauce is best done with fanta or such brands. Cordial will work too but is more expensive. flat soda will work too.

Cocko - When cooking never cook by time. Always cook by internal temp of the meat you are cooking. As for chips, I get the block cuts that bbq galore sell as it suits my low and slow style better than chips. Plus there isnt much choice in Perth. On my smoker, chips dont last long enough. I also always soak the wood from anywhere from overnight to 30 mins before cook time. the reason you soak the wood it keep the wood at a below burning temp longer. You want the wood to smoke but not catch on fire, soaked wood assists this. I have never cooked with an electric smoker before (i use charcoal) but I am assuming they dont want you to use wet wood due to fire+electricity+water= possible death.

Easiest meat to learn on is pork shoulder or pork butt/collar. its hardy and you can practice several styles. As I said before, cook to internal temp. No matter how you cook whether it be in the ground, on a smoker or in an oven internal temp for the style you want is far more important than the time is cooks for. Also get used to the meat stall.

Cooking is way more fun when there is a chance you could ruin dinner!

Great post mate, thanks heaps for the tips!

My smoker came with a bonus wireless probe thermometer so will use it, as you say, to monitor internal temps.

How does this relate to thinner cuts though? Say Ribs for example? or a lamb shank or the cuts where there is not much bulk of flesh to put the probe in?

Just about to rub some ribs to cook tomorrow, I am doing this rub from the BBQ Pit boys site. Plan to smoke for 2-3 hours, cook for another 3 @ 110, wrap in foil for the last halfa, sound good?

Such an exciting new hobby, thanks for the support all.

:super:

I just realised I have a dead almond tree that is a little out of sight and thus mind. I might have to assist my landlord by removing it and docking it up.

Here is some snags and a salmon tail from yesterday on the Weber. Was about 5 hours with mesquite. The salmon was delicious.

After seeing how easy it can be, you have inspired me, Biz.

Man, that looks good!

Great post mate, thanks heaps for the tips!

My smoker came with a bonus wireless probe thermometer so will use it, as you say, to monitor internal temps.

How does this relate to thinner cuts though? Say Ribs for example? or a lamb shank or the cuts where there is not much bulk of flesh to put the probe in?

Just about to rub some ribs to cook tomorrow, I am doing this rub from the BBQ Pit boys site. Plan to smoke for 2-3 hours, cook for another 3 @ 110, wrap in foil for the last halfa, sound good?

Such an exciting new hobby, thanks for the support all.

:super:

This is probably too late now....

I get my spare ribs from Costco...they're much better than any I've found in the butchers. The butchers tend to take as much meat off the top of the ribs as they can, whereas the Costco ones are just thick and meaty.

Anyway, for my ribs I dry rub them and leave them overnight in the fridge. Then I'll smoke them around 225F (the thermometer on my smoker is in F) for approx 7 hours. I dont put a probe in because, well, you cant really. Cook them for about 4 to 5 hours, then every half hour baste them with apple juice (in a spray bottle). The last 30 mins you baste with a sauce (if you want to). The ribs are ready when they easily pull apart.

I also do pork neck and brisket. The pork is dry-rubbed, the beef wet-rubbed. Smoked for 12 hours. Then shredded. Awesome. Then there are my homemade tandoori chicken kebabs.....

:icon_drool2:

It really kicks the standard Aussie BBQ up a notch.

This is probably too late now....

I get my spare ribs from Costco...they're much better than any I've found in the butchers. The butchers tend to take as much meat off the top of the ribs as they can, whereas the Costco ones are just thick and meaty.

Anyway, for my ribs I dry rub them and leave them overnight in the fridge. Then I'll smoke them around 225F (the thermometer on my smoker is in F) for approx 7 hours. I dont put a probe in because, well, you cant really. Cook them for about 4 to 5 hours, then every half hour baste them with apple juice (in a spray bottle). The last 30 mins you baste with a sauce (if you want to). The ribs are ready when they easily pull apart.

I also do pork neck and brisket. The pork is dry-rubbed, the beef wet-rubbed. Smoked for 12 hours. Then shredded. Awesome. Then there are my homemade tandoori chicken kebabs.....

:icon_drool2:

It really kicks the standard Aussie BBQ up a notch.

Thanks mate, I have to try the Apple juice thing, have read that tip everywhere.

I have done 2 lots of ribs now, a test batch and then a massive batch for a party we had Derby day. Both times I went the 3-2-1 method and both times they were cooked perfectly. The first time I didn't realise you could have too much smoke and over smoke them a little, they were a tiny bitter and just too smokey. The 2nd batch was spot on and were extremely popular with the party crowd as a mid arvo snack.

I have also smoked some homebrand sausages and they were awesome too :icon_drool2:

And slow roasted some lamb shanks in it, no smoke but so low and slow... awesome.

Absolutely loving it!

It is official, Cocko loves smoking the meat.

Good to hear you are enjoying it man. Don't forget to continue to impart your learnings onto us.

Just about to join the meat smokers..
Picking up a Hark gas smoker this arvo.
Gee there is heaps of info on the net, it all becomes a bit overwhelming on what style/type/brand to choose.
There also seems to be the AG vs KK in the smoking world with charcoal and wood burners looking down on gas people who look down on electric.

Can't wait to get started

Just about to join the meat smokers..
Picking up a Hark gas smoker this arvo.
Gee there is heaps of info on the net, it all becomes a bit overwhelming on what style/type/brand to choose.
There also seems to be the AG vs KK in the smoking world with charcoal and wood burners looking down on gas people who look down on electric.

Can't wait to get started

Hey TC,

I am sure you will love smoking meat! ;)

I went Hark electric for a few reasons but I have a mate with the Hark Gas and he cant speak highly enough of it... good choice.

Keep us posted of your progress!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back