Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, sounds like a plan - then we'll get the crackling.

On the subject of pork, what exactly is a pork butt? I see it all the time on the food channel - is it called something else in Australia?

Aha, I thought from the name it might have been from the other end of the pig :lol:

♫ I like big butts, and I cannot lie ♫

pork-shoulder-roast-bone-out.jpg

Busting the Myth - When hot smoking the first hour is where the meat absorbs most of it's smoke flavor??

Any truth to this? I have a Hark and do a heavy smoke for the first hour, then throw a little in the tray every hour after that which usually gives a nice deep smoke ring in the meat without the flavor being too overbearing. How do others hot smoke?

It's not the time, it's the temperature. You'll get the most smoke impact up to about 60-65C.

blair said:
Busting the Myth - When hot smoking the first hour is where the meat absorbs most of it's smoke flavor??

Any truth to this? I have a Hark and do a heavy smoke for the first hour, then throw a little in the tray every hour after that which usually gives a nice deep smoke ring in the meat without the flavor being too overbearing. How do others hot smoke?
Depends on the wood

I would crawl over broken glass for a decent Iron Bark smoked anything....

I used to go to a butcher in Singleton, he did some of the best Pastrami,Jerky, sausage, salami known to man and it was all smoked with Iron bark.

I loved that place.

He was next door to a bakery, so he would slice fresh pastrami to go on the bread rolls from next door. Used to walk in with fresh open rolls, he knew what to do :D

Mardoo said:
...and the candlestick maker on the other side lit the way.

But damn if that doesn't sound just like heaven.
Ironically, across the road was a bordello

Got the Smokai yesterday, did some thighs and chillies for pizza last night.
Today ribs for lunch

cqznifG.jpg

Done a casual Charcuterie course yesterday, not much into smoking (which I don't need anyway), but learnt and made salami, prosciutto, sausages, bacon, drinking beers and wine and eating plenty. Was a good day.

Nana Glen Hall, farmer up the road found out about it and I jumped with joy to come along.

shaunous said:
Done a casual Charcuterie course yesterday, not much into smoking (which I don't need anyway), but learnt and made salami, prosciutto, sausages, bacon, drinking beers and wine and eating plenty. Was a good day.
That wasn't at that Synchronicity Farm at Nana Glen was it?
Their craft beer course seems like a bit of a wank

One of the chicks I work with is from a big beef farming family, she's just told me her uncle owns a butchery but sales are crap right now so he's having to throw out meat
So she's offered to get me whatever I want from her uncle.
Hoping to fill my chest freezer this week for cheap :D
Just a little bit of smoking will be done

sp0rk said:
That wasn't at that Synchronicity Farm at Nana Glen was it?
Their craft beer course seems like a bit of a wank
No but the owner of that joint was actually doing the course, his ah Mmmmmmmmmm...

Latest posts

Back