Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
Where do you guys get your chips from? I've only been able to find Apple/cherry/mesquite or Hickory at Bunnings.
Saw mills.

You can get Ironbark up there from the mills

I burn ironbark in the heater, brilliant, but I thought it smoking with any species of eucalyptus was a no-no.

Bribie G said:
I get my Yogurt and Kefir cultures from CB and I will check with them.

I'm on my tablet and the auto complete did all the words from Yogurt up to the word "check". And that includes CB.
Bloody frightening.
My phone suggests "Bribie" quite a bit now
I've told people that many times on here and brewing facebook groups that you can make a great stout from kits, that yours is magic

Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with using any of those woods to smoke any food stuff you like - as long as the result appeals to you, it's all good.

Whatever you do, do not ever try to use Mango. It is one of the worst woods in terms of allergens and could easily give someone an asthma attack.

Smoking stuff seems to be hitting the same brain cells as brewing. I did two oven fulls of the thighs.

Some of the snags were a bit crisped after an hour, try 45 mins next time.

Whole chook is in the fridge, I used a nest of rosemary stems. Bloody beautiful.

smoker sydney 1.jpg

smoker sydney 2.jpg

I see you chucked in some garlic as well - good man! If you haven't done so, try rubbing some olive oil on the garlic before it goes in. It helps the smoke to stick. Some people soak the garlic in brine before smoking - I haven't tried that yet.

peteru said:
Keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with using any of those woods to smoke any food stuff you like - as long as the result appeals to you, it's all good.

Whatever you do, do not ever try to use Mango. It is one of the worst woods in terms of allergens and could easily give someone an asthma attack.
Wow thanks for that, I've got a 60 YO mango tree and was eying it off.

ed: yes I rubbed off as much paper as possible and sprayed them with the Aldi Extra Virgin can.

Jerky. Smoked with saved Oak chips that were pressure cooked in Whisky then kegged with a Smokey Oak Stout.
You've got to hang around the BBQ to smell that when it heats to smoke its divine.
Top side beef, sliced clean meat then marinated in an ongoing favourite recipe. Hot!
Smoked temps average around 100c over an hour or two then into my dehydrated for 2 to 5 days.

Edit: Slight modifications made to the BBQ to contain smoke better and a home made Stainless Steal removable 2 shelf rack. Then I use the standard cake racks from the supermarket for the wet Jerky. There is a cake tray for the wood chips under the cooking plate with that one burner only. On low. Shut the lid and smoke it! Add chips as you go too.

image.jpeg
Not Smoking per say but,
Roast Beef Weber - Success.
Note the Pink Smoke ring. I used up an old bag of beads and threw a few hardwood chips on for the first Hour. The pan gravy has a beautiful smoke flavour that is balanced almost perfectly. One of those roasts where your just using up whatever's in the cupboard. I don't think I'll be able to repeat this:)
Served it with a nice roll lightly buttered-no Vegies tonight.

Cook from the weekend. 2 Brisket, 2 Pork butts, 5 racks of beef shorties and a pumpkin.

Cook from the weekend. 2 Brisket, 2 Pork butts, 5 racks of beef shorties and a pumpkin.

DSC_0015-1280x720.JPG

Bribie G said:
Smoking stuff seems to be hitting the same brain cells as brewing. I did two oven fulls of the thighs.

Some of the snags were a bit crisped after an hour, try 45 mins next time.

Whole chook is in the fridge, I used a nest of rosemary stems. Bloody beautiful.
Looks like a Hark smoker there Bribie - What temps do you usually smoke at? Snags done at 110* for 1-1 1/2hrs can make the cheapest, nastiest snags gold medal winners :icon_drool2:

I ordered a Smokai the other day, should be here soon, it landed in Brisbane yesterday...

indica86 said:
I ordered a Smokai the other day, should be here soon, it landed in Brisbane yesterday...
Smokehouse to come next :beerbang:

A backyard woodfired pizza oven can double up as a large capacity smoker / smoke house.

Not quite walk in, but you should be able to fit in 10's of kgs of small goods and keep it going for days on end.

blair said:
Looks like a Hark smoker there Bribie - What temps do you usually smoke at? Snags done at 110* for 1-1 1/2hrs can make the cheapest, nastiest snags gold medal winners :icon_drool2:
It's a Hark from Aldi rebadged and only $199. There were 3 guys going through the checkout with them as well and we ended up yakking in the car park like old ladies.

Now here's a kitten airlocks question. I have a rolled boneless pork shoulder in that net thing to hold it together.
If you take the net off and unroll,it's uneven and ugly.

However I'd guess you'd get more smoke into the meat. But maybe end up with some bits dried out and others undercooked?

Ah first world problems.

I did the sausages at probably 180 for an hour.
Now have thermometer and will crank them down next time.

Rolled boneless pork shoulder is not a good choice for smoking. Most of the exterior surface exposed to smoke is skin. While it may absorb some smoke, it will prevent most of the smoke flavour from penetrating the meat. To turn the skin into crackling that you might actually enjoy eating requires high temperature and dry heat - conditions that you usually don't have in a smoker.

I would cook it whole, with the net on. Pat the skin dry with a paper towel, then rub with salt and a little bit of oil to help the salt stick to the skin. Start with a low temperature and smoke it for an hour or so, then bring the temperature up to cook the roast to desired internal temperature. Remove the roast from the smoker and preheat a fan forced oven to 220-250C. Take the net off the roast and separate the skin from the meat. While the meat is resting, put the skin in the preheated oven (on a rack with a drip pan under) and let it crisp up to make nice fluffy crackling.

Next time you want to smoke a chunk of pork, try a whole pork neck.

Latest posts

Back