Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks gents! I ended up cooking it last night (good excuse to sit up till 2am drinking!) and heated it up before lunch time. It came up pretty good, but wasn't quite disintegrating the way if have liked it, but it was delicious just the same.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1420280959.752420.jpg

A dirty, great big piece of smoked pig...nice.

What wood did you go for ?

Hickory. I love it for pork! I've got a couple of nice bits of brisket in the freezer - anyone got a good suggestion for wood to go with that? Mesquite?

I've not done brisket, but just had a quick read/drool through my copy of 'Smoking Meat' by Jeff Phillips.

Mesquite is often recommended, yes, and also Cherry, Oak and Pecan.

There's a recipe in there for Cherry smoked prime rib, which is also sprayed regularly with cherry juice ! How good does that sound ?!

I'd give brisket a go with that recipe, personally (mainly 'cos I've got 10kg Cherry logs sat in the garage).

man, I only just noticed that this thread existed - Im somewhat obsessed with smoking meats and making small goods! Actually just finished smoking a big chunk of pork loin to make an awesome german Kassler
Anyways... I thought Id take the liberty of hijacking this thread and showing off the smoker I built...
http://aussiehomebrewer.com/gallery/image/8883-meat-smoker-finished/

I also thought i'd chuck in my two-cents regarding woods for smokes - if you can avoid it, dont buy the bagged stuff from bunnings or rays or bbqs galore. Its imported and kiln dried and loses a lot of its flavour and value before you even find it in the shop.
An EXCELLENT alternative for Hickory is Red Gum and a good alternative to Mesquite (which is pretty harsh and bitter) is Grape Vine.

If your smoking fish, go for something like Sheoak, Lemon Scented Gum or even Black Wattle. All are native to AUS and easily sourced.

Cured and smoked a pork loin - normally do a belly but the loin worked out great!

Cure: 1 cup of salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 20g juniper berries lightly crushed and about 200 mils of maple syrup.

in brine.jpg
in brine for three days turned every day.

after three days in brine.jpg

Put in the fridge overnight to develop pellicle then onto the webber.

loin on bbq.jpg

I hot smoked the pork trying to keep the temp under 100 degree c it hovered around the 90c most the time and sometimes dipped down to 70c.

15 minutes in
15 minutes of smoke.jpg
45 minutes in. I used hickory soaked in water and put a handful on every 20 minutes or so, so the smoke was more or less continuous.

View attachment 78436
2hours in

2 hours of smoke.jpg

3 hours in
3 hours of smoke.jpg

bottom side after 3 hours
bottom side.jpg
because it is hot smoked the outside ends are cooked and a little dry - I slice bits off and eat it - it is delicious and a bit like smoked pork jerky!

Sliced
sliced.jpg

If I was still part of that business I most certainly would but....I left the café in December due to a difference of opinion between my partner and I - amongst other things.

Top effort Paul....I usually also do a 1:1 ratio of sugar and salt...I also like to add a bay leaf and some pepper...

Sorry about the café....
Ferg

For all you Melbourne smokers there is a smoking barbecue event at Vic market tommorow. Looks like it's worth getting down to.

Mercs - HUNGRY NOW! my butcher gave me a little 'truth nugget' /easter egg/tip for doing ham and or bacon. When your meat's done, pull it out of the smoker and put it straight into an ice bath and leave it for 10 mins (crash chill the pork;) ) . What it does is fully stop the cooking process and because it cools so quickly, the moisture that would normally drip/steam off get locked in coz it kinda coagulates and keeps the meat super moist . Its kinda best to use a good meat thermometer and the idea is to ice bath it as soon as your internal temp hits the mark , but it'll still make a difference no matter when you do it.

Try doing the same cure on a beef brisket. I did it the other day as an experiment - I THINK IVE INVENTED STEAKON

Been such a long time since Ive posted in AHB but thought I should share some pics with you guys. After my first run of ribs which was saved by the house oven as my smoker kept tripping the power so I gave up on it. I rewired my elements and removed any type of plastic that was on the oven plates.
Second attempt at ribs was awesome

I followed the 3,2,1 method and had the smoker sitting on 100c with a slight fluctuation of about 5c.
2015-01-14 18.07.06 (Large).jpg 2015-01-14 18.06.12 (Large).jpg 2015-01-14 18.53.24 (Large).jpg 2015-01-14 18.54.20 (Large).jpg

Third attempt was a pork shoulder that I had in the freezer for awhile as I wanted to get the smoker working properly first. Rubbed in mustard and then a dry rub. Starting smoking at 100c and then hit the dreaded stall after about 3hrs. This continued through till about the 10hr mark and in the end I removed it after 14hrs. This was a 2.2kg shoulder. Missed my dinner timing by a long shot. Took it out at 89c
2015-02-01 09.44.27 (Large).jpg2015-02-01 16.57.17 (Large).jpg2015-02-01 16.57.25 (Large).jpg

Very impressed with the way its turned out now :)
Macca

philistine said:
Mercs - HUNGRY NOW! my butcher gave me a little 'truth nugget' /easter egg/tip for doing ham and or bacon. When your meat's done, pull it out of the smoker and put it straight into an ice bath and leave it for 10 mins (crash chill the pork;) ) . What it does is fully stop the cooking process and because it cools so quickly, the moisture that would normally drip/steam off get locked in coz it kinda coagulates and keeps the meat super moist . Its kinda best to use a good meat thermometer and the idea is to ice bath it as soon as your internal temp hits the mark , but it'll still make a difference no matter when you do it.
See now everywhere you read tells the opposite. You should leave the meat to rest, as when it rests the fluids all go back into the meat from the outside.

I dunno :huh:

That look amazing Merc, its about time I do another home made bacon.

8 kilos of spicy chicken wings in the smoker last night

IMAG0160.jpg

Fed a crowd of 30+ hungry brewers very well.

Latest posts

Back