Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I light fire, set to desired cooking temps, insert meat, remove at desired internal temp and chow.

hahahahha, wowzers Macca!

I wouldnt worry about 5*c as far as smoking goes mate, tis OK...

Mardoo said:
Finally found a dependable source for fruit woods in various sizes. Not cheap, but the quality is great. His Convict Rub is awesome too. No affiliation, it's just been hard for me to find good fruit woods. He has a wide range of Australian woods.

http://store.aussiebbqsmoke.com/
Picked up 10kg cherry logs earlier today. Going to smoke a load of Roma tomatoes to make up some relish.

The chap (Terry) threw in a bag of rub too, as a taster. Nice guy, large selection of wood as you mentioned.

Thanks for the tip !

Good news and bad. I picked up one of the Aldi smokers reduced heavily at $129.00 Bargain!!!

Obviously the bad news is I have a 36 page thread to read to figure out how best to use it :p

$129! Damn. Cheapest I've seen any in perth are $450.

Edit: ignore that. Just found the hark gas patio model for $250 and two door for $299. It's looking like a smokey Christmas!

For those that are in Perth contact Chris at urban griller. Very nice bloke and more than happy to help you out

barls said:
For those that are in Perth contact Chris at urban griller. Very nice bloke and more than happy to help you out
That's who I spoke to. Unfortunately that price didn't include shipping to Perth because he doesn't have any in stock. Probably can't get it in time for Christmas either. Might speak to him again and order it anyway. Been hoping to find a 2nd hand one, but they just don't pop up.

I picked this up about 2 years ago at bbq galore. It's had plenty of pork products in it since then.
I'm planning on cutting a 3 inch hole in the side for an external fire/ smoke box over the Christmas break. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419232161.135639.jpg
I have also drilled a hole in the top to support a hook to hang large hams and sausages.

Bomber Watson said:
Was wondering aimlessly around the green shed the other day and spotted these:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/char-griller-deluxe_p3180388

Build quality is fair, price is right, anyone used one?

Cheers.
No offset firebox (you can get one but they're another $200) so you're direct grilling which isn't ideal for smoking
Apparently with some mods they make a decent cooker

tugger said:
I picked this up about 2 years ago at bbq galore. It's had plenty of pork products in it since then.
I'm planning on cutting a 3 inch hole in the side for an external fire/ smoke box over the Christmas break.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419232161.135639.jpg
I have also drilled a hole in the top to support a hook to hang large hams and sausages.
Let us know how you go, I'd love a smoker that can be gas or charcoal fired

This gigantic hunk of pig is going into the smoker at midnight tonight (which should go well after the Xmas party I'm attending). Guessing it'll take around 13hrs and be ready for a late lunch. Mmmmmmm

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1419391138.477147.jpg

I hope it fits, it looks like I'll be jamming it through the smoker door.

sp0rk said:
No offset firebox (you can get one but they're another $200) so you're direct grilling which isn't ideal for smoking
Apparently with some mods they make a decent cooker
Cheers mate.

I must not fully understand the idea, i didnt really see a difference between that and the vertical aldi type smokers everyone else is sprouting on about...

I assumed you could use an item like that just the same by controlling the heat with heat beeds etc...

Have full intention of making a Smokai looking contraption for cold smoking, figure can put a reg on it and run it off the shop air....

Offset wouldnt be to hard, 20lt drum, bit of plumbing....

Tossing up between the bunnings one or just making one out of a 44....Well two, cut two in half and overlay the halves so its double skinned....proceede as normal....But by the time i **** around and do that and make a frame etc the $170 or so is tempting.....

Cheers.

Just finished smoking everything for tomorrow... rainbow trout and a whole salmon. Brined overnight then smoked really low for 6 hours.

2014-12-23 22.18.27.jpg

2014-12-24 07.55.02.jpg

2014-12-24 14.48.27.jpg

2014-12-24 15.49.35.jpg

2014-12-24 17.13.33.jpg

And the missus made mince pies with an armandine top. Not smoked but still awesome.
2014-12-24 16.06.10.jpg

Yeah, I'd eat that !

What wood for the fish? Oak...beech...cedar, maybe?

I just tried cherry for the first time, on a heap of roma tomatoes, which ended up as asian-inspired BBQ sauce.
Star anise works brilliantly with the deep, fruity cherry smoke. Reminds me of my grand dad's pipe tobacco smoke when I was a kid.

Merry Christmas all.

Bomber Watson said:
Cheers mate.

I must not fully understand the idea, i didnt really see a difference between that and the vertical aldi type smokers everyone else is sprouting on about...
Aldi ones have a water bowl in the bottom,so the flame isn't direct heating the meat

Danwood said:
What wood for the fish? Oak...beech...cedar, maybe?
Forgot the most important part. 50/50 mix of apple and peach.

So I went over to Aldi before to grab some meat to grill on my new BBQ tomorrow
There was 2 smokers left marked down to $110 so I grabbed one
Looking forward to slow roasting a pork leg some time next week :)

Latest posts

Back