Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MastersBrewery said:
Aldi smoker is back in store November 29 for those that haven't got a smoker, and would like to smoke just like the OP.

StalkingWilbur said:
Do you have a link MB? And do they post?

Would make a pretty awesome Christmas present to myself :p

X2 on the link please
I went onto their site, but couldn't see anything. Having said that the 29th specials weren't up yet either, do you have an internal source at Aldi? :D

Nah was in their latest cattle dog.(picked up in store)

SW like extended trading, this marvel of retail therapy hasn't made it west yet, one day your government will stop placing ridiculous restrictions on what can and can't be sold on a weekend, to protect certain retail segments. That shit drove me nuts for years, glad to be back east on that score. But it may well be one of the reasons Aldi have not opened a store in W.A. yet.

MB

Good site there, Mardoo.

Where is he in Melbourne ?

Mardoo said:
Finally found a dependable source for fruit woods in various sizes. Not cheap, but the quality is great. His Convict Rub is awesome too. No affiliation, it's just been hard for me to find good fruit woods. He has a wide range of Australian woods.

http://store.aussiebbqsmoke.com/
It's good stuff too. I use their tube and pellets as well as the chunks.

Danwood said:
Good site there, Mardoo.

Where is he in Melbourne ?
Belgrave. Plan a bit of time if you pick up from him. He looooooves to talk smoking. He's a brewer too, but bit on AHB

I'm thinking of maybe splitting 20kg of cherry for some East 'burbs people, if there's interest.

And a pint at Oscar's would obviously have to be accommodated too...

Give him a call and ask what he has. Some pretty interesting stuff. He couldn't stop talking about how awesome the plum is. Feck me, plum wood. Peach too. I think he has about 20 woods all up, maybe 30.

I have a couple of arborist contractors at work. I've asked them to give me a ring if they get any fruit tree jobs on other sites. There's a slab of mega-piss in it for them !
This guy sounds good though, as a plan B. I've always wanted to give cherry a go.

i have to trim a 50+yr old plum in a couple of months, better save the trimmings. still produces fruit but ive tried most tricks in the book and cannot keep the grubs out.

its awesome plum is. I've been using it and peach for a while.
ill be using guava later today on a turkey roast.

As a hot-smoker (in every sense of the term), I save a few prunings whenever I engage in orchard management. I mainly have maccas and olives but I'm about to drop a guava and I also have a pomegranate, some citrus, mango, davidson plum, native finger-limes, fig and others. I haven't tried them all yet. I dry the thinner twigs, whittle them into shavings then use an alfoil package with some holes punched in to place on top of the charcoal.

I always keep the prunings from my fruit trees for smoking. Apple, apricot, nectarine, peach, apple, quince... This year I may have some almond and pear as well.

Cheers
Dave

A few Roo fillets smoked up on the 'ol charcoal bbq for tea tonight.

Marinated in lemony olive oil, whole peppercorns, garlic, lemon zest and heaps of rosemary. A handful of hickory was addedd while cooking, so it meets this threads guidelines....

20141130_175107.jpg

Found a dead roo the other day, fell over infront of my car, cooked the legs up on a BBQ exactly the same as that Danwood. Was the goods, mate added to many heat bead things though so overcooked it a little, but melted cheese over the top and made burgers, Yummo! muscles were still twitching as it went onto the BBQ it was that fresh :super:

Yeah, well....I used a small knife to open the plastic packaging...'cos I'm tough !

You'd be hard pressed to find a roo in Ringwood Nth that didnt come in packaging (Im guessing, for all I know Ringwood Nth is actually the name of a Commercial Roo Farm)

If you're hard pressed to find a root in Ringwood then you're doing something wrong Shaunous. Just make sure it's you that comes in packaging...

Latest posts

Back