Smoking Meat...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimmyjackpot said:
Good lord DB that looks amazing!
hi jimmy, was delicious

perfect weather for it too

love these long cooks, plenty of beers to be had basking in the glorious Sydney sunshine

Can you post a recipe and process fro the buns mate?

it looks like something i'd like to try and i have a few ideas for fillings.

punkin said:
Can you post a recipe and process fro the buns mate?

it looks like something i'd like to try and i have a few ideas for fillings.
I've made the buns a few times now using the following recipe, turns out great, follow the recipe and you will be pleased

another thing, I suggest you burn your bamboo steamer a little by letting it run dry in the wok, not enough to start a fire, but enough to give a bit of smoke for that 'authentic chinese restaurant smell' :D

recipe is sourced from here http://chinesefood.about.com/od/dimsumbuns/r/steamedbun.htm

This is basic recipe for making the steamed bun dough used in Char Siu Bao

Yields 24 buns

More Chinese Bread recipes

More Dim Sum Recipes

Ingredients:
  • 1 package dried yeast or 1 cake fresh yeast
  • 1 cup lukewarm water
  • 4 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons Crisco or vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
Preparation:
Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix thoroughly. Cover with cloth. Let rise 1 hour, until bubbles appear.

Dissolve sugar and vegetable oil in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Cool until lukewarm. Pour into yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour.

Knead dough on lightly floured board until smooth. Put into extra large, greased bowl in a warm place. Cover with damp cloth. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.

Divide into 2 portions. Remove first portion and knead 2 minutes. Repeat with second. Roll each into roll 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Cut into 12 pieces (24 total).

Flatten each piece with palm of hand. Roll with rolling pin into 3 inch circles.

Brush with sesame seed oil. Indent middle of circle with chopstick. Fold circle in half so that it becomes a half moon. Crimp edges tightly with fork.

Place each roll on separate square piece of foil on steamer tray. Cover tray with towel. Let buns rise to double in bulk, about 30 minutes. Remove towel.

Steam, tightly covered, over briskly boiling water for 10 minutes. Serve with Peking Duck, Crispy Duck, or with any filling you desire. May be prepared in advance. May be frozen. Thaw out in plastic bag and re-steam 10 minutes.

(*Note: This recipe is reprinted from "Madame Wong's Long-Life Chinese Cookbook", courtesy of Sylvia Schulman).

barls said:
havent tried jerky yet, done a shit load of roasts, snags and other things. heres some pics just to torment you further
lamb fillets
70460147-orig.jpg

stuffed baby capsicums
11042011118.jpg

whole chook
04042011108.jpg

cheap snags
10032011091.jpg

low and slow grain and above mentioned lamb fillets
F8B233BB-orig.jpg
HI Barls,

I see thats an aldi smoker, I've done pretty much the same as you,although I ripped out the gas burner and but the colandar down in the pit.
How do you go with temp? I find my bugs out around 160c my firebox is to small i think.. Is that why you still have the gas burner attached?

-gav

Thanks DB, that's much different to the bun recipe i use that has sr flour and baking powder.

So how do you roll the circles to do it the way you have, roll to a cirle, crimp edges and cook flat or do you fold them first?

punkin said:
So how do you roll the circles to do it the way you have, roll to a cirle, crimp edges and cook flat or do you fold them first?
roll flat circles like miniature pizza

brush with sesame oil

fold in half to make a half moon shape

use a fork to crimp the curved bit

let rise then steam

you are supposed to cut them open on the flat side, and the curved bit should stick together, but mine didn't work that way, the crimped curved bit didn't stick so I opened them that way, perhaps less sesame oil around the perimeter and it might stick

Thanks mate, i like the presentation you have that's why i ask. For BBQ Pork Buns i'll fold them in the way i always do.

But some sliced meat and vegies and a dollop of sauce, your presentation is brilliant. Would also work well for peking duck and save making the glue pancakes (even though i love the glue).

You should put this in the BBQ Pork Buns Thread down the page, this dough looks much more like the restaraunt dough, even though i love the baking powder one.

gava said:
HI Barls,

I see thats an aldi smoker, I've done pretty much the same as you,although I ripped out the gas burner and but the colandar down in the pit.
How do you go with temp? I find my bugs out around 160c my firebox is to small i think.. Is that why you still have the gas burner attached?

-gav
i use the burner 90% of the time. can get up to 280-300 but also can get down to almost room temp for cold smoking.

I made some jerky in my Aldi smoker today.
It came out pretty tasty, just need to keep it away from the kids.
image.jpg

Chicken soaked in salts and nitrates (a quick cure premix at recommended rate) for 3 days and some cheap kabana from the supermarket. Cheap snags are improved by smoking so surely cheap kabana would be awesome!

Chicken and kabana before.jpg

Hot smoked at 130oC for too long, on an upper shelf, with some dried timber trimmings off the nectarine tree, topped up with some pecan pellets and later some hickory and mesquite chips. Either cooler, or a shorter duration next time. I used a water pan but the breast looks a bit dry whilst the wing bits are OK given that they had skin and fat on (breast did not).

Chicken and kabana after.jpg
The back right corner is the hottest part - sorry kabana.

Just cooling it all in the fridge now to enjoy later. Preliminary tasting whilst hot was very positive. I did some mussels in brine and garlic too but that is posted in punkins smoked mussels thread.

So I bought a 2.3kg hunk of brisket and will be making pastrami out of it. First step is brining it for 5 days, then a day of soaking in fresh water, then a rub gets applied and it gets smoked for 12 hours before being steamed for a few more hours and then it's ready. Methinks it's going to be a mighty Reuben sandwich.

XbwKLcgl.jpg

3XSuEpul.jpg

vhpmvESl.jpg

Any one smoked trout before
I never have and was wanting a good brine/sugar recipe
And any advice for the smoking

Got these 4 rainbow trout out of Goulburn river over weekend
Going to smoke them

IMG_04781.jpg

helles said:
Any one smoked trout before
I never have and was wanting a good brine/sugar recipe
And any advice for the smoking

Got these 4 rainbow trout out of Goulburn river over weekend
Going to smoke them

attachicon.gif
IMG_04781.jpg
I hot smoke trout for a couple of hours, no brine beforehand just put some herbs or lemon inside and they come out really good. They aren't preserved though, not like a cold smoke

Latest posts

Back