Smaragd (emerald) And Weizens

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
Well, im on holiday so Im doing my mid-week brew tomorrow.

I have in mind a raspberry/honey weizen using a 3333 yeast and a partial mash ...

I have been using PErle hops lately for my bittering for the weizens - but I just dont know if I am happy with the flavour, so wanted to try something else. I picked up some Smaragd hops the other day to try in an Altbier that Im going to make next week - but wondered if possibly as a low cohumulone hop if it would be something interesting to see how it goes in a weizen?

Any ideas? has anyone used this hop before and can give me some pointers on its use?

Cheers

Not used the hop myself yet, but here's the full run down it plus the other new German hops...

Cheers Ross

I used in a wit recently and it certainly didn't seem out of place.

I used a small amount of Saphir and the rest Smaragd (40g total). I used in bittering, flavouring and aroma, but the aromoa amount wasn't really big enough to impart much.

I'm not sure I can comment much on whether it was correct or if there's a best way to use it but I can say that I'm very happy with the beer and few guys from the case swap here in QLD tasted and enjoyed it the other night so I'd say you'd be good!

For what it's worth I also used it in a Belgian Strong Dark Ale which tastes fantastic, but it might be a little early to tell whether the hops are exactly right...

I used in a wit recently and it certainly didn't seem out of place.

I used a small amount of Saphir and the rest Smaragd (40g total). I used in bittering, flavouring and aroma, but the aromoa amount wasn't really big enough to impart much.

I'm not sure I can comment much on whether it was correct or if there's a best way to use it but I can say that I'm very happy with the beer and few guys from the case swap here in QLD tasted and enjoyed it the other night so I'd say you'd be good!

For what it's worth I also used it in a Belgian Strong Dark Ale which tastes fantastic, but it might be a little early to tell whether the hops are exactly right...

thanks guys - i did a big google on it last night but couldnt find much info, so all of that helps!

Ill give it a shot, I guess its all about the experimentation anyways!

Latest posts

Back