"smaller Brew Kit In The Fridge"

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keef12345

Reaction score
Hi

I have access to a medium sized bar fridge and because of these warm temperatures Im trying
to set up a brew kit in the fridge took shelves out etc.

Ok so I can regulate the temperature inside the firdge get exact temperature and hopefully
get better results because Its like getting into the 30's now and I cant brew...

So I have a home brew kit that can hold 12 ltres of fluid and this will sit in the fridge..where a larger brewer wont..

Can anyone throw me some suggestions here. Is halving ingrediants ok using Kit cans.

Any ideas where I should go with this....

best wishes

You might like to try a halved toucan recipe. Take a favourite (or cheap) can and make it up to 12L. As for what the end result will be, try this calculator.

Cheers,

microbe

Hi

I have access to a medium sized bar fridge and because of these warm temperatures Im trying
to set up a brew kit in the fridge took shelves out etc.

Ok so I can regulate the temperature inside the firdge get exact temperature and hopefully
get better results because Its like getting into the 30's now and I cant brew...

So I have a home brew kit that can hold 12 ltres of fluid and this will sit in the fridge..where a larger brewer wont..

Can anyone throw me some suggestions here. Is halving ingrediants ok using Kit cans.

Any ideas where I should go with this....

best wishes

Malt shovel kits are meant to be made up to 11.5 litres. Havent tried them, but they might be the way to go.

I might be reading the question wrong, but if it is just a simple kit that you are making, you could just add the entire contents of the can and just omit any further sugar, malt extract etc.

That would give you around about the right gravity for a 12 litre brew.

well it works in my head, if i am wrong, someone please correct me.

Josh

You might like to try a halved toucan recipe. Take a favourite (or cheap) can and make it up to 12L. As for what the end result will be, try this calculator.

Cheers,

microbe

Did the all can, no additive, 12litre thing a few years ago without any real problems. The beer was still kit beer, the flavour sharper, perhaps a little harsher in the bitterness / twang, but I drank it anyway. Didn't try it again after acouple of goes, didn't really like the results.

Good time to throw the kit away and try some extract brewing. Buy a can of unmalted goo (Morgans or Coopers) or use dry malt extract. Try some crystal malt that you steep (not mash) for body and a flavour boost and add your own hops in a mini boil. Some good dry yeast. A little bit of extra time, a little bit more money, but hopefully a better beer and a good learning outcome.

Best of luck

Back