Small batches

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Memnoch

Reaction score
So I have my 25l fermenter and been brewing that for almost a year. I have recently got my hands on a 12l fermenter. Anyone had luck on doing just 1 can and not adding the extras to them?

I don't see why it wouldn't work the same as a toucan brew halved hahahaha. 1 can brew chuckle.
Put it through some software and see the outcome I recon it would work just fine.

It'll be bitter. If that's ok then do it. I did it with a homebrand bitter can once just for fun. Was fine, just bitter.

BradG said:
It'll be bitter. If that's ok then do it. I did it with a homebrand bitter can once just for fun. Was fine, just bitter.
Definitely depends on the can. If it's a bitter can than why yes it will be. If it's a stout or dark ale can than no it won't. IPA might be good too with some additional hops for aroma.

A really good candidate for a half sized batch with one can is Coopers Lager, original series. In my kits days I used to do a "toucan" with just two cans of the lager and nothing else. Turned out great.

Try a tin of Coopers or Muntons Stout to 12 litres. Works well.

As per Bribie's suggestion I just made a 12 litre batch using the Coopers Original Lager, with the addition of a hundred grams of Maltodextrine and ten grams of Saaz steeped in the goo can. Took no more than twenty minutes from whoa to go and if it produces an acceptable lawnmower beer then I may even take up mowing the lawn again sometime.

Going back and playing with kits for a while has been better than not brewing at all and has made me think a bit more as to some the changes that I will be making the next time I go back to doing All Grain again.

Memnoch,

A word of caution. I once had a small FV and threw 1 can of Coopers Real Ale in it and topped up with just water (as advised by my LHBS guy) and thing bubbled over like Mt Vesuvius and went everywhere. So be ready for a huge krausen. Mind you the brew that resulted was a cracker.

Maybe insert a bigger airlock hole and run a length of larger diameter tube off it into a half-filled bucket of water? This will allow the krausen and pressure to go to one location and not all over the floor.

Cheers,

Pete

Latest posts

Back