Slow Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcharg

Reaction score
Hey guys, got my starter going on the weekend with 100mls of LME. Pitched the yeast (Wyeast 3787) and after 4 days this is what it looks like. It hasn't changed much since the second day. Its not exactly the same amount of fermentation activity I'm used to, do you guys think its okay? I mixed the sediment through the bottle a few times which seemed to let off alot of gas but didn't make much difference once it settled down again. The only other thing that I can think of that may have effected this is after I broke the nutrient pack in the Wyeast packet It expanded alot quicker than usual (usually takes over a day for me) and when I went to bed it was probably 75% inflated and I didn't get around to pitching it untill about 11:00 then next morning. What are your thoughts guys is it ok to pitch into my brew or should I cut my losses and start again?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

DSC00821a.jpg

If the wyeast pack expand rapidly then it sounds like you pitched healthy yeast and the starter fermentation could have been finished in 24hrs. It has definitely fermented if it is letting of co2 when you give it a swirl/shake. Since its been sitting for 4 days it might be work while pouring of the beer and just pitching the slurry.

I was going to make multiple starters from this one but I think I might leave it for this time, so what are the chances of this starting up again when I pitch it. I was a bit worried since it is a high gravity beer and I don't want to shock the yeast too much (even though the 3787 is supposed to handle it well) and I guess I also don't want to waste the the time and ingredients making the wort.

How much malt did you use? What do you mean by 100mls?
Cheers
Steve

take a small sample from it and do an sg test on it, it may have fermented out

It sounds ok to me but if your concerned make up another starter and pitch the slurry. You could also taste the beer or take a gravity reading to see if it fermented.

A high gravity beer will also need a larger starter or make a smaller beer and then reuse the yeast cake.

Ok just checked SG, seems it did the sneaky ferment on me 1.008. I will try pitching the slurry and see what happens.

Jye, since I'm using K&K recipe I plan to start with a regular SG brew then step up the fermentables as the yeast adjusts. Just means I wont be able to get an accurate starting gravity but I should be able to estimate that with a reasonable amount of accuracy hopefully.

Thanks for your fast replies guys, I let you know how its looking.

you might be able to avoid having to add fermentables after pitching into the fermenter by stepping up your starter to 3 or 4 litres.

Latest posts

Back