Size Of Urn For Biab - 35 Litre Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garthus

Reaction score
Hi All,

So this is my first non Melbourne Pub advise post :)

I have been on the journey through from K&K and Extracts.

I now want to try BIAB, I have purchased one of the Bags and wanted to do it with an URN as this seems to be the way - also explaining it to my other half it feels more controlled!

Anyway, I have found a 35 litre Birko URN, is this big enough? I had the impression it needed to be the 40ltr but if this is big enough ill press on.

Thanks all
G

I take it this is a very old model? I wasn't aware of a 35L model - how do you know if it is 35L? What's the wattage?

If it is indeed so then you should be fine. You would probably have to fill it just about to the top at mash stage, but once the bag is hoisted and drained there should be adequate headroom for the boil, just watch it carefully for the first five or ten minutes. On the occasions that I've planned for a 2 hour boil and therefore done a bigger volume initial mash, I've never had anything remotely like a boil over.

:icon_cheers:

I take it this is a very old model? I wasn't aware of a 35L model - how do you know if it is 35L? What's the wattage?

If it is indeed so then you should be fine. You would probably have to fill it just about to the top at mash stage, but once the bag is hoisted and drained there should be adequate headroom for the boil, just watch it carefully for the first five or ten minutes. On the occasions that I've planned for a 2 hour boil and therefore done a bigger volume initial mash, I've never had anything remotely like a boil over.

:icon_cheers:

It might well be it is from eBay - I think its been in the guys basement for a while.

I am wokdering if its worth saving the money (its $120 on eBay) or if its worth getting a new one for $248 off eBay instead.

It might well be it is from eBay - I think its been in the guys basement for a while.

I am wokdering if its worth saving the money (its $120 on eBay) or if its worth getting a new one for $248 off eBay instead.

Check Craftbrewer's 40L Crown Urn exposed element, postage might be ok as they are not actually all that bulky. I'd go new and warrantied if I were you.

Back