Single Vessel Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with datamike,

Coming from someone who's recently finished a single vessel recirculating mash setup, the top to bottom wort flow is what i went with. Really didn't want the hassle of trying to build a malt pipe type arrangement where it is bottom to top return (braumeister).

Top to bottom seems to work quite well for me, unless you do something stupid like suck the wort from underneath the bag/basket arrangement faster than you can return it to the mash.

Element went bang.

Now i monitor the return rate to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Otherwise, i'm happy with top to bottom.

if interested, check out my signature, both of the youtube clip, and the thread here documenting my build....

Having said that, i've been watching your build threads johnathon and you don't do things half assed. So whatever you decide to build, i'm sure it will be kickass as always, and leaving everyone's mouth open in envy....

cheers,

Nath

I know I've already voted for bottom to top but a couple of comments ... seamad makes a good point that the BrauMeister config is so reliable you can just set it up and do whatever you like until the mash is done. I could never do that with my traditional three vessel system.

And as far as making a malt pipe seal ok and do the goods - I think Jonathan can maybe make a thing or two in his sleep :D

Besides, using the cam locks like I do in BrauBushka means sealing is a no brainer.

The large vat is 98L So I was thinking around 50L-60L of wort.
I've got a 3V and bought a good quality 100 litre pot to do three cubes. I was thinking that if someone did a single vessel build that could do 60 litres I would eventually use the 100 litre pot for a SV build. So I'll be following with interest :beerbang:

I've got a 3V and bought a good quality 100 litre pot to do three cubes. I was thinking that if someone did a single vessel build that could do 60 litres I would eventually use the 100 litre pot for a SV build. So I'll be following with interest :beerbang:

Tony is building one with a 100L pot: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=828048

Matho's Brauduino system could be used for pretty much any sized vessell, though I think Tony is using his own control system he is putting together.

Tony is building one with a 100L pot: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=828048

Matho's Brauduino system could be used for pretty much any sized vessell, though I think Tony is using his own control system he is putting together.
Awesome, thanks, will start following that too. Thought I'd wait until some of the wizards built one first. I'm ok at copying but not the inventive type :p

Like waiting for gear to arrive the most frustrating thing is knowing this is going to be a pretty awesome build, but he's a busy boy, with lots of little side projects going on all the time. we all need to pray for more rain! :ph34r:

my vote is for bottom up flow because once you have it flowing you can forget about it until the mash has finished, also because you basically have a floating mash when the pump is on, you reset the mash with pump rests which would reduce the chance of channels being setup.

cheers steve

Thanks for all the input and links guys. Lots of great builds and ideas there. There are pro's and Cons for both methods, I do like the idea of unmonitored brewing without the risk of stuck mash. I'll have a look through all the stainless bits I have and see what will work best.
Got a pretty unrealistic finish date of next friday, ha, could be a dodgy setup...
Cheers.

Absolutely,
There is quite a brewing scene down here with two great Beer clubs. Sun Surf and Beer, ok maybe a bit of wind and rain in there as well.

Lots of rain and bloody cold from my memories of childhood holidays to visit the relos

Ha, Cocko me old mate, where have you been , I was worried...

Waiting for you to re-shave your head and brew a digi batch FFS!

HAHAHA....

Seriously, can you bang this Single V rig up in a week? **** I hope so, it will challenge matho's awesomeness..

Then we can head to - AHB 'battle royal' build threads.

Good to be back!

I've got a "studio", but seeing as though I'm tied in with Akai Professional, there's no site of NI inside my ride... :icon_cheers:

:icon_offtopic:

Spiesy,

when you say "tied in with Akai Professional" is that for a day job? Im a professional musician/private music tutor, and they make some really cool products that i would love to own.....

sorry for the off topic

So 2 days left then?

Pix?
I thought you would never ask Cocko...
Been super busy, trusses went up yesterday so I spent a few hours in the shed once it got dark. Scrounged all the parts for a base up, bit of old hand rail from an old peoples home, some ex diary 50mm pipe and we are on our way. Jerry rigged a polisher with a cordless drill. (No lathe in the new shed) A few more hours and she will be ALIVE, Got to sleep tomorrow, Night shifts tonight darn it all.. Friday is fast approaching..

DSC_0006.JPGDSC_0012.JPGDSC_0013.JPGDSC_0014.JPGDSC_0016.JPG
DSC_0017.JPGDSC_0018.JPGDSC_0021.JPGDSC_0022.JPG

I've got a "studio", but seeing as though I'm tied in with Akai Professional, there's no site of NI inside my ride... :icon_cheers:
Nice, I have a Workshop/Brewery/Bar/Studio, just depends how I feel. It's a bit of everything and not anything. Need more room..

So here she is, DigitAle Micro
It's a goer , put down two 50L brews so far, she's a ripper. So easy to use. Using bottom up flow seems to work fine.
I think the best bit is the 30 plate heat exchanger built in, makes cooling a breeze.
Going to add liquid depth sensor for a bit more bling next.

431671_431607960236306_1940469319_n.jpg398277_431607930236309_427489245_n.jpg
522850_423777497686019_1295936010_n.jpg 223774_431598286903940_1107170986_n.jpg

holy shit man! speechless. (and for the record just saw this AFTER i sent you that PM)

Latest posts

Back