Single Hop Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sponge

Dungeon O' Sponge Brewery
Reaction score
Hey all

As i was looking through the freezer for some hallertauer for my latest batch, i found a hardly used pack of cascade pellets which i bought a few months back

Just after a nice APA (well, any style really) which i can use some of them up in? Also, what sort of IBU:SG ratio should i be looking at?

I was thinking along the lines of....

2kg LME
1kg Pale Malt
0.5kg Light munich
0.5kg Wheat malt

30g cascade (5.8%) @ 60min
20g @ 30min
15g @ 15min
15g @ 0min

us-05

19L

Any feedback would be great

Cheers, Sponge

BUGU is a bit of personal taste thing, but for me, I'd be looking at 65% ish. Bitter enough to balance, but not enough to suck your cheeks in. :icon_cheers:

Ahhh nice... ratio is at 67% right now.

looks like ill just pencil this recipe in and see what happens when i have a free fermenter...

Cheers, Sponge

I have dry hopped with 20+ gms with great aroma IMHO. After approx 5+ days of fermentation throw the pellets in (don't worry) and wait for 10 to 14 days then bottle/keg.

I set up this spreadsheet based on the attached article to calculate IBU's based on a balancing value

I don't believe BU:OG is the most appropriate measure and while the article goes some way to bringing in other variables it also has shortcomings eg excessive use of crystal malt can affect balance etc

But I believe it is a handy tool going beyond BU:OG when determining balance

Cheers

View attachment balancing_value.xls

View attachment Balancing_Value.doc

Cheers for all the responses, and that other information cortez...

So the recipe looks alright in terms of grain and hope schedule?

I didnt realise munich was often used in APA's but looking through the database I realised that a lot of the recipes had it

Sponge

I didnt realise munich was often used in APA's but looking through the database I realised that a lot of the recipes had it

I think Munich can be good to provide a good malty backbone to balance the hops. Depends on what you're after of course.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the 30 minute addition and just have additions at 60, 15 and 0. I don't find that I get much out of those, especially in an APA where you've got heaps of hop flavour from the late addtions.

I set up this spreadsheet based on the attached article to calculate IBU's based on a balancing value

I don't believe BU:OG is the most appropriate measure and while the article goes some way to bringing in other variables it also has shortcomings eg excessive use of crystal malt can affect balance etc

But I believe it is a handy tool going beyond BU:OG when determining balance

Cheers

Good one, Cortez.

I have been using BV since about my second extract brew (ie ages ago), and it is definately a better system. I've been trying to work on introducing the variables of specialty malt potential and the effect of mash temperature on dextrin production and hence on attenuation (hence my topic started ages ago where most people thought I was mad for even contemplating such an endevour). I just need to find the time to do multiple batches of forced fermentation to get the empirical data to match the numbers. ;)

Latest posts

Back