Single Hop Additon At Flameout - Nc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

argon

firmitas, utilitas, venustas
Reaction score
Been reading a bit about late hopping in Jamils site Mr Malty.

I exclusively No Chill and Ive adjusted procedure by adding hops approx 15 mins later in the boil than normally added if I was to chill. I use Beersmith and I now interpret 60min additions as 45min, 30min as 15min etc. This seems to work for me and the results so far have been quite good.

Im now going to give ultra late hopping a shot, where I add a single addition of Galaxy at flameout, whirlpool and cube. Ive assumed this will give me a bitterness about the same as a 15min addition. In the article I was reading there is comment from Palmer, A word of caution when adding hops at knockout or using ahopback- depending on several factors, e.g. amount, variety, freshness, etc., the beer may take on a grassy taste due to tannins and other compounds which are usually neutralized by the boil (15 minutes)

However there a number of testimonials saying that bitterness and mouthfeel is much smoother. Along with great amounts of flavour and aroma.

So has anyone else done a single addition at flameout then No Chilled? If so what were your results, smooth? Or grassy and astringent (from tannin extraction)

Heres the recipe I was going to go for. At the lower end of IBU and BU:GU (for style) just incase I get more bitterness than expected.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Galaxy APA
Brewer: Argon
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 38.00 L
Boil Size: 42.40 L
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 13.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.20 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 80.00 %
0.90 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (3.9 EBC) Grain 10.00 %
0.45 kg Munich Malt - 10L (19.7 EBC) Grain 5.00 %
0.23 kg Caramunich Malt (110.3 EBC) Grain 2.50 %
0.23 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2.50 %
90.00 gm Galaxy [13.40 %] (15 min) Hops 32.6 IBU
1.00 tsp Koppafloc (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Polyclar (Secondary 1.0 days) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 kg
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 23.49 L of water at 72.4 C 66.0 C

Notes:
------
No chill adjustment - Hop additions are at Flameout

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've done flameout additions and no chilled with good results, but never as the sole addition.
I don't think grassiness will be much of a problem, but i do reckon you'll struggle with IBU accuracy and possibly repeatability. Lets say that it cools down in the cube quicker than you expected, then you'll get much less IBU. This could happen if you used a rectangular cube instead of a square cube (more surface area).

As an experiment, it's an okay idea, but if it were me, i'd still add some bittering at 60-45mins to give reduce the IBU error i'd expect. You can always cube hop/hop tea/dry hop as well.

I'm not telling you not to do it though. The worst thing that'll happen is you'll roughly learn how much no chilling adds to your IBUs, which is something I only have from word of mouth.

Cheers,
Al

I've done flameout additions and no chilled with good results, but never as the sole addition.
I don't think grassiness will be much of a problem, but i do reckon you'll struggle with IBU accuracy and possibly repeatability. Lets say that it cools down in the cube quicker than you expected, then you'll get much less IBU. This could happen if you used a rectangular cube instead of a square cube (more surface area).

As an experiment, it's an okay idea, but if it were me, i'd still add some bittering at 60-45mins to give reduce the IBU error i'd expect. You can always cube hop/hop tea/dry hop as well.

I'm not telling you not to do it though. The worst thing that'll happen is you'll roughly learn how much no chilling adds to your IBUs, which is something I only have from word of mouth.

Cheers,
Al

There's a fairly long thread here at AHB on this topic.

Cheers

Breezy

As I have posted on other threads, I NC and have recently started French Pressing the hops (works best with flowers) to get 500ml of strong hop tea. Then I put the pressed hops into the boil for bittering - there's still a heap of Alpha Acids and resins in there and I get excellent bittering. I fridge the hop tea in a sterile bottle, and pour it into the fermenter at the same time as pitching. I'm currently drinking a ripper lager made with 45g NZ Hallertau flowers. The hop aroma is reminiscent of opening a bottle of commercial German beer. I reckon the method would work great with Galaxy - preferably the flowers.

There's a fairly long thread here at AHB on this topic.

Cheers

Breezy

Thanks got most of my answers through that thread I think Ive read some of that before. Really after that smooth bitterness. Ive done a few batches in the past where I think the bitterness was a bit harsh. Well one way to find out I guess.

From previous batches the only thing that has been significantly deficient has been the aroma. Ive used the French press method before and had some really good results from that. So maybe in this one Ill add 75g Galaxy at flameout (approx 20min addition = 33.2IBU). French press the remaining 15g for 5 mins, and add it to the fermenter post fermentation. Would like to avoid the dry hop as not really a fan of the resinny (sp?) flavours I get from it almost sherbetty in previous batches using Cascade or Amarillo.

Latest posts

Back