Single cube addition only? Is it tasty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I did a cube addition of vic secret at about 50g or more (with a bitter addition at 60m) and it was insanely aromatic for a very long time and quite bitter, so I'd say go for it with your favourite hop of great flavour and it should work out.

I've only tried a single cube hop addition once and it seemed to have something missing in the flavour. The bitterness level seemed right but too simple maybe. Not a great blend between the malt and hops. I've also brewed no bittering addition beer with all late, end of boil hop additions too. Same feeling. There was something missing, not a great blend.
I do believe (for my taste preference) that a small bittering addition (I now advocate for first wort hop) of say 1/3rd to 2/3rd of the total bittering level makes better flavoured beer. I'd even consider 20% of the total bitterness level as first wort hop etc.
Which still allows to go quite heavy with the late hops/cube hops etc.
but I have found/been persuaded to think that the first wort, or early addition favours the blend of Malt and Hops better than no bittering additions at all.
$0.02

Yeah its nearly done fermenteling, dry hops are in and I can see what you mean. Maybe it will be ok cold and carbed but it does seem to be missing something.

I usually FWH too. 30 to 40g of Magnum is my usual.

Since originally replying to this thread I've started splitting my late additions between flameout (25 min whirlpool for calc) and cube (15 min whirlpool for calc) and I think that the hop flavour is more rounded and closer to where I want it.

My process now is:
  1. kill the boil
  2. throw flameout hops in
  3. chuck lid on the kettle
  4. set timer for 25 mins
  5. drain kettle to cube with cube hops already added when timer goes off
Will keep experimenting, but happy with this schedule so far.

Do you CubeAdders notice any difficulty in getting a good hot break in the kettle? I believe that even hop extract brews such as CUB main brands get a few pellets in the boil to provide nucleation points for the break to form.

Last edited:
Do you CubeAdders notice any difficulty in getting a good hot break in the kettle? I believe that even hop extract brews such as CUB main brands get a few pellets in the boil to provide nucleation points for the break to form.

I have only done one all cube which I just kegged last night. From memory, there was maybe less hot break than usual, but it wasn't completely absent. I have no idea on the ramifications of this.

Had a glass from the fermenter, very juicy. I would probably prefer more bitterness to be honest. I'll save judgment until its carbed up though.

Great news is 50g of amarillo into the cube is fantastic in an APA..

Bad news

managed to suck up a tonne of hops from the fermenter after cube hopping (same container)... having great fun trying to clear the poppets on the keg with little to no luck.

Anyone got some knoweldge on what the heck to do?

Thanks

Great news is 50g of amarillo into the cube is fantastic in an APA..

Bad news

managed to suck up a tonne of hops from the fermenter after cube hopping (same container)... having great fun trying to clear the poppets on the keg with little to no luck.

Anyone got some knoweldge on what the heck to do?

Thanks

Either siphon to another keg or pull the dip tube out and chuck a paint strainer bag over the end of it and secure with a cable tie.

Absolute pain in the arse when you get blocked poppets, I feel for you.

I've done heaps of cube only hopped beers. Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Columbus/Tomahawk all work really well for this method. I find the best candidates are the big strong flavour/aroma hopes...say 10-12% and higher tend to work better for this as you need less for the same impact. Tried it with Cascade and some other low % hops and found the end result not as enjoyable.

Off the top of my head, 50g or so of any of these hops that I use, straight into the cube, and transfer the post boiled wort on top of them will generally yield great results. Dry hop during ferment for more aroma if you like...

cheers yob!

250g..... in a single batch? tasty! :)

Back