Split Batch Pale Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
Looking to brew a split batch to get my stocks up after family destroyed my supplies.

Was going for this recipe.

23L
7KG Pale Malt
2KG Munich I
.5KG Carapills
30g Magnum FWH

SG 1.102
57 IBU

Split into two cubes

Cube 1
23L
40g Mosaic
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
4.8% ABV
50 IBU

Cube 2
23L
40g Amarillo
OG 1.049
FG 1.012
4.8% ABV
42 IBU

Dry hop with same as cube additions I think, probably ferment both with WLP001.

Looking for a pair of reasonably hoppy pale ales.

Does this look OK?

Yep. Looks good. I just did a similar thing this weekend. The only thing that I cant figure is what happens to IBU levels when split and then diluted. I split 50lt to make a 38lt diluted to get 1.040 brew and a 19lt brew diluted to 1.069. so its beyond me to figure it out but the 1.040 wort that is more diluted tastes fairly high on the IBU's. The stronger wort is cubed and yet to be tasted.
So you basically split in half and diluted to 50/50. How do you figure the IBU'S before the cube additions? Do you just half them?

Yep. Looks good. I just did a similar thing this weekend. The only thing that I cant figure is what happens to IBU levels when split and then diluted. I split 50lt to make a 38lt diluted to get 1.040 brew and a 19lt brew diluted to 1.069. so its beyond me to figure it out but the 1.040 wort that is more diluted tastes fairly high on the IBU's. The stronger wort is cubed and yet to be tasted.
So you basically split in half and diluted to 50/50. How do you figure the IBU'S before the cube additions? Do you just half them?

I haven't calculated it out that accurately. I played around a bit with volumes in calculators and it seems halving it for a 50% dilution is close enough.

Im sure boiling with such a high gravity affects utilisation but it's probably not going to be too much of an issue.

I have basically built 2 seperate recipes that are the same up until the cube. I'll double the grain and hop bills to this stage.

thinking of doing a similar thing but using a saison and an ESB-type yeast.

I might try this at some stage too. I do have a packet of Danstar Abbey, not sure how it will go with the hops I have planned though? Belgian American Pale Ale?

Edit: I actually have some Perle hops too. I could use Perle instead of Amarillo and the Abbaye yeast to make it more of a Belgian ale.

Last edited:
This is were I like taking note of the bitterness ratio. I aim at around 0.7 IBU/SG ratio. Give and take 0.3.

My expectations are that:
Heavier gravity the more malt forward and higher ABV.
Lighter gravity is sessional beer but crisper seems more bitter up front and lighter malt taste but still balanced.
I think this is old time beer stuff. As for a split brew too as the objective of one brew day for 2 or 3 days brew worth in time etc.

I might try this at some stage too. I do have a packet of Danstar Abbey, not sure how it will go with the hops I have planned though? Belgian American Pale Ale?

Edit: I actually have some Perle hops too. I could use Perle instead of Amarillo and the Abbaye yeast to make it more of a Belgian ale.

I never worry about styles with these sorts of brews but there actually is a style that fits funnily enough.. the white IPA!

Specialty IPA: White IPA Overall Impression: A fruity, spicy, refreshing version of an American IPA, but with a lighter color, less body, and featuring either the distinctive yeast and/or spice additions typical of a Belgian witbier.

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters – banana, citrus, perhaps apricot. May have light to moderate spice aroma such as coriander or pepper from actual spice additions and/or Belgian yeast. Hop aroma is moderately-low to medium, usually American or New World type with stone fruit, citrus and tropical aromas. Esters and spices may reduce hop aroma perception. Light clove-like phenolics may be present.

Appearance: Pale to deep golden color, typically hazy. Moderate to large, dense white head that persists.

Flavor: Light malt flavor, perhaps a bit bready. Fruity esters are moderate to high, with citrus flavors similar to grapefruit and orange, or stone fruit like apricot. Sometimes banana-like flavors are present. Hop flavor is medium-low to medium-high with citrusy or fruity aspects. Some spicy clove-like flavors from Belgian yeast may be present. Coriander and orange peel flavors may be found as well. Bitterness is high which leads to a moderately dry, refreshing finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with medium to medium-high carbonation. Typically no astringency, although highly spiced examples may exhibit a light astringency which is not distracting.

Comments: A craft beer interpretation of American IPA crossed with a witbier.

History: American craft brewers developed the style as a late winter/spring seasonal beer to appeal to Wit and IPA drinkers alike.

Characteristic Ingredients: Pale and wheat malts, Belgian yeast, citrusy American type hops.

Style Comparison: Similar to a Belgian Wit style except highly hopped to the level of an American IPA. Bitter and hoppy like the IPA but fruity, spicy and light like the Wit. Typically the hop aroma and flavor are not as prominent as in an American IPA.

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.056 – 1.065
IBUs: 40 – 70
FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 5 – 8
ABV: 5.5 – 7.0%

It would be more like a Belgian White Pale Ale, haha.

Do you think it would be better with Perle, Amarillo or both?

I haven't used Perle before, I think I'll will line up a Vienna SMaSH with some to get to know it a bit better.

Back