Single cube addition only? Is it tasty?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionman

Reaction score
Has anyone tried a no chill batch with only cube additions?

I was thinking of doing an all Mosaic IPA

23L
5KG Pale Malt
2KG Munich 1

100g Mosiac Cube
100g Mosaic Dry Hop

WLP090

~56IBU (give or take a lot)
7.7EBC
7.2%

Opinions?

I do it very often. Works very well. My go to currently is about 230g of Amarillo at negative 10 minutes. Just started trying with pale ales with the same method, 50 grams of vic secret is delicious.

Nice. 230g seems a lot. Is that all in the cube? Will 100g of Mosaic be enough?

What temp are you aiming at for cubing?

yeah, done it a few times.

go with the original recipe, it will be delicious.
might not be bitter enough for the ABV but I reckon do it in the name of science.

Just reading the cube hopping thread.

Maybe I should add all the mosaic to the cube but cool the wort a little to reduce the isomerization and increase flavour/aroma extraction.

Maybe cube at ~85c

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Do it.

My rough calc is generally IBU = ABV*10 when cubing.

At a minimum.

The problem is, calculating IBUs of cube additions is very difficult.

Lionman said:
Just reading the cube hopping thread.

Maybe I should add all the mosaic to the cube but cool the wort a little to reduce the isomerization and increase flavour/aroma extraction.

Maybe cube at ~85c

The problem is, calculating IBUs of cube additions is very difficult.
I've tried the lowering temp before cubing thing - I found it too hard to come up with a replicable process and way to calculate it. And the beers I did it with had not any more aroma or flavour.

With the IBU calculation thing, I was using it as a 20min chilled calculation being where I'd land near. As it stands, changes in weather (in summer my garage is usually 40 degrees, in winter, 20) will have some effect, though again, who knows how to allow for it.

So I tend to make sure that if I'm making a 5.5% beer, my minimum calculated IBU (using the 20min chill calc as a rule of thumb) is 55 IBU, though I'll generally push that higher - 65-75.

I use 15 mins steep/whirlpool in beersmith for my cube additions - this is with a transfer to cube approx 25 mins after flameout. I used to use 20 mins s/w but found I wasn't quite getting the level of bitterness I expected.

It's difficult to predict cube hopped bitterness but also flavour and aroma characteristics with a great deal of certainty, so just give it a whirl with your best guess and adjust accordingly once you have the resulting beer on tap. Sure, it's an almost glacial rate of progress but I've seen so many folk cut themselves to pieces on their recipator trying many different approaches, none of them any more valid than the other. On the upside, think of all the bandaids and sticking plaster you'll be saving.

Yeah, i use 15mins too. I have also found that using 20mins the IBU predictions are a little generous.

I think I will do the original recipe first, I'm sure it will be great. if it needs a bit more I will try upping it on a subsequent batch.

There will always be another batch.

Lionman said:
Nice. 230g seems a lot. Is that all in the cube? Will 100g of Mosaic be enough?

What temp are you aiming at for cubing?
It is a fair bit but Amarillo isn't really potent and it is for an IPA.
I don't do it by temperature but by time. Anything more than 10 min could have risk of not heating the cube enough to kill everything.

With your recipe you would need 150g to get to 50ibu at -10min in he cube. Sounds nice.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1495669461.125737.jpg

As previously stated, your recipe looks close enough to be worth going with, as is.
Lots of peeps do solely cube hop with success.
I use 20mins as the timing estimate, though that underestimates the resulting IBUs. However, 15mins overestimates for me, so I prefer to use 20mins and just target a slightly lower final IBU.
Also, some varieties add extra "bitterness" from other compounds in the vegetal hops debris. So, as has been stated, you really need to give it a crack and see what works for your taste buds (not everyone picks up those vegetal elements).
I also prefer to try to add the pellets *after* the wort, so the hot wort doesn't volatize off my precious hops oils. May or may not make much difference though [emoji57]

Hi guys, just interested in your process here; do you hit flameout then let the wort sit until a certain temp is reached OR a fixed time before you transfer the wort to the cube? Additionally, do you have the hop pellets already in the cube before transferring or do you put them in after the transfer? Just curious how you logistically manage the 15 minute addition delay...

Hi guys, just interested in your process here; do you hit flameout then let the wort sit until a certain temp is reached OR a fixed time before you transfer the wort to the cube? Additionally, do you have the hop pellets already in the cube before transferring or do you put them in after the transfer? Just curious how you logistically manage the 15 minute addition delay...

I stick the cube additions in the cube and fill the cube within a few minutes of flameout (element out?). The wort is in the high 90's going by my thermometer. I haven't measure the temp in the cube after its filled, but I'm guessing low to mid nineties.

My IIPA I did a few weeks ago, 10% ABV 120IBU with 120g of cube editions came out deliciously hoppy and fruity. Seriously one of the best beers I have tasted, and I am generally very critical of my own beers. Keg didn't last a week, family members smashed it.

The all cube addition Mosaic brew is in the fermenter now, the fermentation chamber smells like fruit juice. Im going to dry hop the bejesus out of it.

If you wanted to do a low IBU NEIPA then it may be a good idea to let the wort cool to below 85c before cubing to limit the isomerisation. If you want to extract some bitterness I wouldn't worry, cube it nice and hot to limit the chance of infection.

If you know the temperature of your cube when the hops are added and one other temperature / time point (say the time at which it hits 50 oC), you can use a simple logarithmic decay curve to calculate the isomerisation. I incorporated one such in my IBU calculator posted here a while ago.

If you know the temperature of your cube when the hops are added and one other temperature / time point (say the time at which it hits 50 oC), you can use a simple logarithmic decay curve to calculate the isomerisation. I incorporated one such in my IBU calculator posted here a while ago.

that sounds interesting, i'll have to dig that up, cheers.

My IIPA I did a few weeks ago, 10% ABV 120IBU with 120g of cube editions came out deliciously hoppy and fruity.
Firstly, do you have the recipe because I love IIPA's!? ;D

But yeah, I take your point, if going for higher IBU go straight to cube with hops already dropped in, if looking for lower IBUs then cool to about 85 first and then dump. Makes sense for a general approach to it.

I want to hear more about your beers!

Interesting, above my pay grade but none the less interesting! :D

Firstly, do you have the recipe because I love IIPA's!? ;D

But yeah, I take your point, if going for higher IBU go straight to cube with hops already dropped in, if looking for lower IBUs then cool to about 85 first and then dump. Makes sense for a general approach to it.

I want to hear more about your beers!

Haha, happy to share. Think I had a thread about that one, ended up at this. The Caraaroma gives it a beautiful red hue.

23L

7.5KG Marris Otter
0.3KG Carapils
0.2KG Crystal 10L
0.1KG Caraaroma

30g Magnum - FWH 42IBU

40g Amarillo - Cube 16IBU
40g Mosaic - Cube 22IBU
40g Simcoe - Cube 24IBU

30g Amarillo - Dry Hop 5 Days
30g Mosaic - Dry Hop 5 Days
30g Simcoe - Dry Hop 5 Days

2L Starter - WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast

80% Mash Efficiency
2 Hour Boil (mainly due to extra sparging)
1.088 OG
1.017 FG
9-10% ABV depending on which calc you use.
100-120ish IBU depending on how you calculate the cube additions. (does it matter at this point?)

That's a fairly hefty grain bill, thanks for sharing the recipe it sounds amazing! I'm going to give this one a crack once I've got a few brews under my belt! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back