Simple Brew, Simple Worries

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boingk

Reaction score
Pretty simple worry here, just freaking that my US-05 isn't going to work on my brew after proofing and pitching last night. Can't check the airlock because I'm not using one [bottle-cap-over-the-hole method] and there doesn't seem to be all that much happening from what I'm seeing through the lid.

Recipe is kinda ordinary:

Wal's 'Blonde' Kit 1.7kg
500g LDME
250g Maltodextrin
250g Dextrose
015g Stickelbract @ 10min
US-05 Yeast substituted for kit yeast

Didn't take OG because I couldn't be assed, also I left my hydrometer at university whilst I'm on this irritating community service practical. Temp on pitching was 24'C, its now dropped to 20-21'C. Yeast was stored in fridge until use and had good expiry date.

Freaking here because haven't had a brew not fire in a while... So probably all I can do is wait right?

Damn... - boingk

Sometimes you need to ask the question before you realise the answer yourself...

i suppose there is a whole list of things that could have gone wrong, mabey the yeast got shocked through a rapid temp change. But at the end of the day what can you do but sit and hope that it starts (and mabey seal up the airhole a bit better than a with bottle cap if nothing is happening) and if not pitch some new yeast.

Adamt - First off, love the avatar: "It was more extreme than that time I forgot how to sit down!" Second, I was sitting there on the tail end of my original post thinking pretty much what you said.

Adric Hunter - I just whipped the packet out of the fridge and made up a proofing mix with luke-warm water from the tap and a half teaspoon of sugar, that wouldn't shock it right? I let that sit and it went wild as per usual... As for the bottle cap I'm just using that because my locks are at uni with most of my other stuff...might run down to Kmart and pick up the essential stuff I forgot [ie: lock, bottling attachment].

gilbrew - Thats my bet. Plus, LHBS doesn't open til Wednesday I think, so it looks like I'll be waiting a while either way!

EDIT: Just walked to the fermenter and checked it, seems there still isn't any krausen but there seems to be a definite smell of fermentation leaking out so I'm guessing its just off to a slow start.

Hahaha. The avatar is meant to be an animated gif, saying "YOU FAIL!" at the end, but I'm guessing the file size limit kicked in and didn't like it :(.

That familiar aroma is a definite sign, don't look at it again til tomorrow morning and it'll be "Krausen ho!"

Quick update, no krausen today...hmmm...might just rock down to my brothers and see if I can borrow his hydrometer to see if this thing is actually fermenting (not that I'll be able to really tell...seeing as I didn't take an OG).

Or the brew shop and buy some more US-05!

I'd be tossing another yeast in. Last year I made a 3kg esb american pale ale and after 2 days, no bingo ! :huh:
So the HBS supplied another ( i was willing to pay but he gave :) )
Which made me think it has happened b4
Anyway it turned out my best beer so far :D don't leave it more than a few days.

Good luck

Quick update, no krausen today...hmmm...might just rock down to my brothers and see if I can borrow his hydrometer to see if this thing is actually fermenting (not that I'll be able to really tell...seeing as I didn't take an OG).

Or the brew shop and buy some more US-05!
Judging by your ingredients, you'd expect it to finish up around 1010 or so hey? I've got a spare hydrometer in my toy box. It's one of those stupid small Brewiser ones (that only go up to 1040!), but it comes in handy whenever I or SWMBO breaks the good one.
Hope it's fermenting Boink.

Fermented, bottled, carbonating. Looks to be alright in that the yeast is sedimenting out and the beer is clearing in some bottles. There was a very thin clearish film when bottling that looked to be the remains of the krausen and not anything more sinister. The beer tasted like beer too :D

Hopefully it'll come out alright - I'll give you an update in a month :p

Back