Simcoe Amber Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete2501

Reaction score
Ahoi hoi. Has anyone else made a simcoe amber ale?

I've had a simcoe amber ale cold conditioning for 2 weeks or more. It's time to keg this baby.

The last time I tried an amber ale I used Amarillo and some of my friends said it reminded them of Mary Jane.

:icon_cheers:

What was the recipe, Pete?

I'm at work so this is from memory.

1.7kg Amber extract
1.7kg Light extra

15 @ 60
20 @ 15
25 @ 10
30 @ 5
2 litre starter of US05

Made to 21~ litres.

I might end up being more like an English bitter, dunno.

simcoe is pretty overpowering, I usually only go with 1g/L and I like it hoppy[with other hops too.]. It'll probly taste like lolly water with sherbet and grapefriut. What made you make a starter with us05?

I was given a stir plate from a friend who works at a chem lab.

Actually looking at my sig :rolleyes:

15 @ 60 Perle
20 @ 15 Perle
50 @ 10 Perle / Simcoe
30 @ 5 Simcoe

I know it's not your question (I don't know the answer) but why Perle for the bittering instead of the Simcoe?

I use simcoe for bittering almost exclusively and absolutely love it. I find it provides a good smooth bitterness, and leaves just enough simcoe flavour to freshen the beer just a little. And given that it's higher AA than perle, it makes sense from a cost perspective as well (not that your bittering addition was massive, being an Amber ale, but if you do an AIPA or something it adds up).

And yeah, I bittered the last 2 amber ales I did with simcoe and will continue to do so in the future. I haven't used it late in an amber, but that's cause I was looking for other flavours, not cause I don't think it would work.

Nah that's cool. It's the first time I'd used either and Perle is pretty neutral so I figured why not.

True but with an Amber Ale you're not looking for a bitterness you're trying to emphasis the malt profile. Even thought this is an extract :blink:

I want to clone the Great Divide Brewing Hercules double IPA so all of that's food for thought.

At the end of the day though I'm not really phased about the cost. I prefer my beer to stuff I can buy.

Quiet you :lol:

I made it about 4 weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I used the last of my crystal on it. 50l crystal or soemthing

Hey Pete

Ive got a Simcoe/amarillo IIPA in bottle on the weekend, MAN its a fruity bugger, smelled all for the world like Pasito... :ph34r:

It was , 90gr Simcoe and 50gr Amarillo, 25gr of each dry

I made about 26L of 1.056 American Brown with Simcoe recently - 18g @ 60, 30g @ 15, 30g @ flameout, target 40IBU. Really beefed up the malt character, with an as mentioned sherbet-y lolly like sweetness.

I really like the soft, round bitterness I seem to get from Simcoe, have been using it for bittering in a few US style beers lately. Might have been a bit over the top on it's own in the brown, but I wouldn't brew a new world hoppy beer without it.

*edit - got proper specs from notes

caramunich 2 seems to add a lot of malt profile to an extract

If it says "cara" at the front it only needs steeping.

If it says "cara" at the front it only needs steeping.

I have this feeling like when you stand in poo and all your friends saw you do it.

Cheers bum. :icon_cheers:

I recently brewed an APA with Simcoe, Galaxy and Citra. Hell of a drop. I prefer hoppier beers, so don't really make too many Ambers, but it's a mainstay in my APAs. Keg was empty within three days, by the way. Damn mooching mates!

I recently brewed an APA with Simcoe, Galaxy and Citra. Hell of a drop.

My last AIPA had the same hops (except I also had magnum for bittering) and it worked out really amazing. Try the same hops with wy1272 next time, bullfrog - works a treat.

don't like tasting simcoe while brewing, LOVE tasting simcoe when it's ready!

got a simcoe, amarillo, cascade IIPA for the QLD case swap.

My last AIPA had the same hops (except I also had magnum for bittering) and it worked out really amazing. Try the same hops with wy1272 next time, bullfrog - works a treat.

Cheers mate, will give it a burl. This one was just US-05. Managed to get a very strong malt profile with it, too that complimented the fruity flavours of those hops just perfectly. Going to go back to my notes and make it again without changing a thing except the yeast. Actually, I lie, I'll change one more thing -- nobody but me will be able to drink from that keg! :p

Latest posts

Back