Silver

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reegs210

Reaction score
So, I got myself a silver cup given to me for Chrissy. I doubt it is pure silver, but more than likely sterling silver or something

I tell you what, it sure tastes different drinking out of this rather than glass. Doing a side by side, it somehow changes the feel/body of the beer.

I'm on the fence on this, but I often hear about the benefits of drinking from silver....I haven't really done thorough research about, however, there seems to be a fairly positive response in doing so.

Interested to hear what others may think, as I still like a pint from my pint glass, but, now and then, I do grab the silver cup and have a few out of it. I must confess, it is rather pleasing to quaff a homebrew in it

Cheers (whilst drinking from my silver cup)

Regan

reegs210 said:
So, I got myself a silver cup given to me for Chrissy. I doubt it is pure silver, but more than likely sterling silver or something

I tell you what, it sure tastes different drinking out of this rather than glass. Doing a side by side, it somehow changes the feel/body of the beer.

I'm on the fence on this, but I often hear about the benefits of drinking from silver....I haven't really done thorough research about, however, there seems to be a fairly positive response in doing so.

Interested to hear what others may think, as I still like a pint from my pint glass, but, now and then, I do grab the silver cup and have a few out of it. I must confess, it is rather pleasing to quaff a homebrew in it

Cheers (whilst drinking from my silver cup)

Regan

Haha, that's cool, and to think I feel a bit fancy drinking from my pewter tankard occasionally.

Tell you what Regan I have installed two beer engines, probably November, and have not bought a commercial beer since.
The taste is so different whether in a glass or pewter mug.

Silver is extremely soft and susceptible to corrosion.

The oft touted benefits of silver consumption have little basis in science as far as I'm aware. Won't kill you to drink from the cup but I wouldn't start taking colloidal silver solution or trying to eat the cup. If it is sterling silver (90+ percent pure silver) it should have a stamp on it somewhere saying stng slvr or somesuch.

If it is silver plated, the plating may be extremely thin and drinking from it will probably remove the silver very quickly. Remember beer is acidic.

Said cup has not been stamped, other than the makers mark

This cup has come from Egypt, from a family member whom was posted there in the 1980's, and I have no reason to doubt what is said about the cup other than that it is a cup made from silver.

Perhaps you're right, though. The little googling that I have done is inconclusive about the matter since I first posted. Cant be bad,surely, as there must have been people (Vikings, Romans???) who were drinking from metals rather than earthware for their alcohol consumption?

Anyway, I get a bit of a kick out of it. Until I turn blue, that is

Regan

@wide eyed

That is interesting as, apart from these last holidays, I've not bought commercial beer in over 2 years unless I can avoid it.

I do wonder about the difference in taste, from the bottle/keg, to the glass or whatever it may be (in my case a silver cup)

Regan

It'll be fine although I wouldn't be relying on hoping the Vikings did OK. Most of them died young from scurvy or axes through the skull.

Silver is not especially toxic and does have some antibacterial effects and while the whole silver for health thing is very pseudo-scientific, drinking from a sterling silver cup or silver plated one won't be deleterious to health and if it makes you feel good then I raise my glass to you. You will remove silver layers by adding acidic liquid to it but it's a bit like reading a book or listening to a record - it's hard to get enjoyment from it if it is never used for its intended function (unless it's in a museum)

Cheers, Manticle

I will enjoy it sparingly, and will think of you whenever I do so :D

Regan

Said cup has not been stamped, other than the makers mark

This cup has come from Egypt, from a family member whom was posted there in the 1980's, and I have no reason to doubt what is said about the cup other than that it is a cup made from silver.

Perhaps you're right, though. The little googling that I have done is inconclusive about the matter since I first posted. Cant be bad,surely, as there must have been people (Vikings, Romans???) who were drinking from metals rather than earthware for their alcohol consumption?

Anyway, I get a bit of a kick out of it. Until I turn blue, that is

Regan

The Romans piped their drinking water through lead, so I wouldn't put too much credence in their metallurgy from a health perspective.

Long term ingestion of silver can turn your skin a blue-purple

article-2431165-183CEC0600000578-260_308x185.jpg

Long term ingestion of large amounts of large particles of silver can turn your skin a deep purple blue - hence why I advised not eating the cup. I reckon OP will be OK with the occasional tipple.

Latest posts

Back