Silicone Or Fibre Washers For Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I read it, the only answers getting knocked were yours. Sorry mate, each to their own and all that, but leather's a really silly idea. It's not food grade, would be an excellent harbour for bacteria, and breaks down over time, particularly with exposure to liquid.

Although leather has been used for water storage for many thousands of years?

QldKev

Well its passed the cold water test using the Leathal Corpse/Davewaldo method.
1/2 full and no leaks after 1/2 hr.
Probably should give it the boil test.
Then cool down and reboil etc.

Although leather has been used for water storage for many thousands of years?

QldKev
you're dead right, it has been used for thousands of years. Similarly, leeches have been used for thousands of years to treat illnesses. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, certainly doesn't mean it's the best. Science came up with a better way.

Excellent, glad to hear you got it working

Looks like I'm too late replying to this thread but has anyone ever considered soft copper washers? They have been on my kettle since day one many years ago & are excellent. You can get them from hydrolics places like Pirtek or NZED.

TP

you're dead right, it has been used for thousands of years. Similarly, leeches have been used for thousands of years to treat illnesses. Doesn't mean it's a good idea, certainly doesn't mean it's the best. Science came up with a better way.

I though you would come back with the analogy that people used to drink from pewter goblets. Either way no relevance to the direct topic. Probably the only different millions of leather costrel/bottles are still in use today; but millions of people still smoke, so also probably doesn't help much.

Yes open leather may be able to harbor spores, but I'm talking a seal for my kettle. Something that is compressed in a fine gap to seal a tap to a container that contains liquid that is boiled for at least an hour every batch.

I couldn't recommend the silicon washers as I don't know which type of silicon they are. What temperature are they rated to? If they are being used above their temp, what chemicals are leached/will they melt? Are they porous; some silicon is used for the purpose of breeding bacteria in the lab.

I think any of the seals could do the job, all with some possible side effects. We could debate for ever on this...

The most important thing here is at least Gregor has a sealed tap.

QldKev

Reading this thread makes me even happier I can TIG weld... :D What say you, yardy?

Sure, but considering it's cut from a silicone baking tray, you're probably pretty safe in assuming that they're food grade, and rated to higher than boiling temperatures. Even if it's not, it's still going to be better than leather in terms of porosity, long term breakdown, leeching of chemicals into the beer (like tanning chemicals and dyes, for instance). You go ahead and keep your leather seal, but you'll not manage to convince me, and you'll not convince me to shut up if you're suggesting it to others.

Sure, but considering it's cut from a silicone baking tray, you're probably pretty safe in assuming that they're food grade, and rated to higher than boiling temperatures. Even if it's not, it's still going to be better than leather in terms of porosity, long term breakdown, leeching of chemicals into the beer (like tanning chemicals and dyes, for instance). You go ahead and keep your leather seal, but you'll not manage to convince me, and you'll not convince me to shut up if you're suggesting it to others.

yawn... read the original post, it was not mentioned it was a washer cut from bakeware. That idea was from suggestions? but too much internet talk here...

QldKev

lol guys...look closer, the washer is welded on and can't be removed...hence no issues with liquid travelling down the thread cause it's not going to happen......
Gregor - single silicon seal on the inside, push the bulkhead through and secure the whole thing from turning by putting a spanner on the inside but while you attach the outside. If you prevent it from turning you should have less issues with the seal distorting and forcing out of place. No need for a seal on the outside, if the liquid is getting that far then something is wrong - the second seal was a spare :) PM me if you have any further issues.

Wayne

fair call, so there is :) Cheers Benny.

OK, so remove the spare stainless washer from the bulkhead, then as per my instructions.

havnt read the whole thread...to lazy

But a few points

If the vessel outlet you are trying to seal with a threaded seal is round, then it will be difficult, regardless of the washer used. Try using a hammer and dolly to flatten out the area you want to seal

Over tightening washers is the single reason they leak...Just ask any diesel fitter about people that over tighten leaking fuel hose fittings and make them leak, you end up distorting the washer, as the OP first pics clearly show

A good flat surface should seal without the need of washers....

Back