Silicone O-ring In My Kettle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingerlickin_B

Mo Bitta, Mo Betta!
Reaction score
Can this kind of o-ring be used in a kettle or will it melt?

o_ring.JPG

Its the kind sold by G&G.

PZ.

I should have also mentioned that my heat source for boiling is an immersion element, so I'd imagine the kettle wall near the base wouldn't get as hot as if I were using a gas burner?

PZ.

Can this kind of o-ring be used in a kettle or will it melt?
<snip pic>
Its the kind sold by G&G.
PZ.
Can't help you with your answer there mate, but why don't you just use the red fiber washers? They're available in packs of 5 from the home plumbing section in Bunnings for about $2.50 or something. :)
Tim.

I should have also mentioned that my heat source for boiling is an immersion element, so I'd imagine the kettle wall near the base wouldn't get as hot as if I were using a gas burner?

PZ.

FB,
I use 2 of these on my kettles tap with a mongolian burner as a heat source and i've never had a problem with it. I think silicon is rated for like 230 degC or somewhere around that figure.

cheers,

vl.

Go to a pneumatics dealer and get a VITON o-ring,

Maybe when I need a new one Sinkas, but for now based on VL's testimony and what I have since Googled I should be fine with this one (perhaps I should have hit up Google before I even started this thread B) )...until it wears out :)

PZ.

I've used standard tap washers as well as the one you have picture on my boiler and found that they cope just fine.

Latest posts

Back