Silicone Hosing!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matti

Swedes Bryggeri
Reaction score
Will Silicone hosing heavy duty survive a boil?
Will it impart off flavour?

I haven't fitted my spare false bottom to the kettle yet.

Toying with the idea of using a silicone hose but though better of it.
MAtti

oh no! silicon v pvc question. quick run and hide before they come to get you matti !!

yes silicon is fine for boil no it wont impart flavours (providing you dont run ultra caustic/acid through and leave it soaking in there). silicone is the choice over pvc IMO. not wanting to start a war.

plenty of threads on the debate. there are no negative comments on silicone other than its cost.

Hehe.
So if a fasten it(the hose) to the falsy so it does not come lose its the go.
Cheers.

Hehe.
So if a fasten it(the hose) to the falsy so it does not come lose its the go.
Cheers.
I use silicone hose to syphon my hot wort after boil into the no chill cube. it works a treat. i also boil it in water to clean it every so often. The good thing about it is that it flexible enough to grab with your hands and fold over the end tip to block a flow.

i used a PVC hose once. it was quite pricy and promised to me by the salesperson that it would withstand hot wort. it completly collapsed on first use.

Silicone is the go but it is a bit pricy.

+1 sillicone. it is a bit pricy but well worth the investment. won't ever give you troubles and is high temp food grade as mentioned.

Will Silicone hosing heavy duty survive a boil?
Will it impart off flavour?

I haven't fitted my spare false bottom to the kettle yet.

Toying with the idea of using a silicone hose but though better of it.
MAtti

Yes you can boil the crapola out of them and not get any off flavours. I boil mine regularly as part of my cleaning regime.

I have all silicon hoses from HLT to Chiller plate. At the end of a brew day I simply boil them in the kettle to clean them up. If they are heavily soiled due to hops or darker malts I just add some PBW which seems to do the trick. Best investment but do take care not to over tighten hose clamps as they can be easily split.

Got the falsie of my keggle fastened with silicone tubing from the screen to the outlet. Into its second year and not a single problem.

You will be sweet.

Hopper.

Just a word of warning, I have seen silicon hosing literally explode at a recent brew day whilst under mains pressure so be very careful, it's certainly not mains pressure capable.

put a blowtorch on a piece of silicon and see what happens, it has very good heat resistant properties.

cheers

Browndog

I tried my silicone hosing on the kettle today and it went well.
The hose was too big for outlet so I attached a PVC pipe/hose to go into Outlet of kettle and even put a little piece of some thin silicone hosing at end to fit snug to the outlet. It was great not getting blocked run off from flower into no chill cubes and less waste.
The kettle dead space has been reduced by a litre from almost 4 to less then 3 litres.
IMG_0278.JPG
Using the good part of the remains for the starters. :)

Also got great help from assistant brewer Bongchitis :super:

put a blowtorch on a piece of silicon and see what happens, it has very good heat resistant properties.

Please don't :D You pyrolyse the siloxane bonds and form microparticles of glass which you might breathe in. Silicosis is not fun!

Please don't :D You pyrolyse the siloxane bonds and form microparticles of glass which you might breathe in. Silicosis is not fun!

Yes, you are so right Sera, I never considered for one moment someone might actually try it! silly me.

The kettle dead space has been reduced by a litre from almost 4 to less then 3 litres.
View attachment 31771
Using the good part of the remains for the starters. :)

Also got great help from assistant brewer Bongchitis :super:

matti ,

well done,

I found I had to extend the pick up in the kettle dead space ,

then you will pick up all but half a litre ,so long as it does not loose its syphon.

Pumpy :)

Cheers.
The pick up has a threads so its a matter of just finding the righ piece.
The only thing I noticed was the run off slowed down a lot with falsy in, because the outlet is less the 15mm wide it .
Nothing not fixable though .

Matti

I need to get some hosing to transfer hot wort..
The toughest hose i found at the pluming supplier was only rated to 20 degrees i think
- it's that clear pvc reinforced hose and looks identical to what i see others use.

Latest posts

Back