Silicone Bung Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JestersDarts

I (heart) Darts
Reaction score
G'Day Brewers -

I am looking for somewhere I can get a silicone bung for use in the kette I am making -

I want to jam it in the 3/4" end of the reducer, inside my kettle, to stick a pickup tube in. The hole is max 20mm

so the bung would need to be small end 20mm at most.
It can be solid or with a hole, I dont mind.

If noone knows what I am talking about, see diagram that I have sketched..

jjjjjj.JPG

Does anyone know where I can get one from, preferably in Adelaide, or a supplier in Australia?

JD

I would screw a 3/4 elbow on the end of the thread if you can fit it in.
I did this for ages with a stainless scrubby jammed under the bottom to screen the trub.

They are definitely available from Cellar Plus in North Melbourne.
Can't help with anything closer to you though.

Maybe a laboratory glassware supplier?

I would screw a 3/4 elbow on the end of the thread if you can fit it in.
I did this for ages with a stainless scrubby jammed under the bottom to screen the trub.

Problem is that the hole is so close to the bottom, that anything screw on with an elbow will only turn as far as the bottom of the kettle -
So I thought a silicone (for temperature) bung would do the job, then i could squeeze in a stainless pickuptube, and angle it as required.

Problem is that the hole is so close to the bottom, that anything screw on with an elbow will only turn as far as the bottom of the kettle -
So I thought a silicone (for temperature) bung would do the job, then i could squeeze in a stainless pickuptube, and angle it as required.

Have got one here you can have. It is tapered, 20mm on one end and around 23 on the other. Even has a small through the middle. Just need your details.

BYB

If the bung doesn't work a swagelok fitting like this will. (Assume you will need a straight one though.)

P7170137resized.jpg

Go to the Bunnings and buy a 3/4" female one end and a 1/2" olive connection on the other end. About $3.80.
Beats me why you didn't just drill a 1/2"hole and put a 1/2" nipple through.

Hi Jester,
If you find one i'd like to know about it. The pot i'm going to be using for doubles has an outslet welded onto it. Adding a bung would be an easy way to add a pickup tube.
thanks

Go to the Bunnings and buy a 3/4" female one end and a 1/2" olive connection on the other end. About $3.80.

The vessel i'm using already has a 3/4" threaded hole where an old tap used to be, so i'm trying to utilise that.

Why go to bunnings and pay for something when he's already been offered a freebie by a fellow brewer?

Why go to bunnings and pay for something when he's already been offered a freebie by a fellow brewer?

Yes, BYB is a champion, I will take him up on the offer. Its a simple solution that I think will work for what I have, and definately the easiest. If it fails, then i'll look into other options.. like more bungs ;)

Do you think fuel or postage cost is going to be more or less than $3.80 from Adelaide to the Barossa Valley?
I bet my left testi that it will be quicker if not cheaper to go to the local bunnings.
Also it is a permanant fixture. Can not accidenatly dislodge when whirlpooling and catch the laddel/spoon on the pick up tube.
I could be wrong MO.

But if BYB is going to deliver it to your door step why knock back the offer.

Do you think fuel or postage cost is going to be more or less than $3.80 from Adelaide to the Barossa Valley?
I bet my left testi that it will be quicker if not cheaper to go to the local bunnings.

I will take your left testi, and raise you the fuel cost of going to the closest bunnings.

Although I dont know what I would want with it, but I may keep it in a jar, and offer it as a prize at my next poker night.

We virtualy have a bunnings in every other suburb here. But then again you do live in Adelaide. Don't you have Bunnings there?

Also it is a permanant fixture. Can not accidenatly dislodge when whirlpooling and catch the laddel/spoon on the pick up tube.
I could be wrong MO.

But if BYB is going to deliver it to your door step why knock back the offer.

Most brewers who've offered me anything have posted at their own expense. Not saying they should but BYB did say - 'just need your details'. Just like the generosity of other brewers to be acknowledged.

Also postage is within the one state so I can't imagine it's excessive.

Anyway not my transaction so I should shut up.

Most brewers who've offered me anything have posted at their own expense. Not saying they should but BYB did say - 'just need your details'. Just like the generosity of other brewers to be acknowledged.

Anyway not my transaction so I should shut up.

It is extremely generous - I'm not letting BYB pay for postage, i'm going to send him the envelope. - and that's what I love about this space, brewers helping other brewers... aaahhh

FORUM HUG!!.. wait... too early.

I will take your left testi, and raise you the fuel cost of going to the closest bunnings.

Although I dont know what I would want with it, but I may keep it in a jar, and offer it as a prize at my next poker night.

:eek: Remind me not to come round for a game of poker. ROFL :lol:

BYB

We virtualy have a bunnings in every other suburb here. But then again you do live in Adelaide. Don't you have Bunnings there?

Whether I do or do not have a bunnings close by doesn't help me find a silicone bung for what I want it for.

I realise you asked for a silicon bung and thought I could help with the suggestion of a compression fitting.
Oh well the thought is always there.
Only trying to help.

Back