Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Hop Schedule? Dry Hop?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've developed a partial mash recipe for a SNPA clone based on the recipe at http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532
My recipe is below and I've also attached it as a beersmith file.
Does this mash schedule look feasible?
57g seems like alot of cascade at flameout :eek: Is there no need to dry hop due to the large addition at flame out?

Type: Partial Mash
Batch Size: 22.00 L
Boil Size: 9.50 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU

0.65 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 15.29 %
1.50 kg Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 35.29 %
1.80 kg Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC) Grain 42.35 %
0.30 kg Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC) Grain 7.06 %

18.00 gm Magnum [12.50 %] (60 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
17.00 gm Pearle [6.00 %] (30 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
37.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 5.6 IBU
57.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

Yeast = Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.053 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.14 %
Bitterness: 37.1 IBU
Est Color: 19.8 EBC

Notes:
Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) = Craftbrewer Pilsner Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) EBC 4

Crystal (Joe White) = Craftbrewer Crystal Malt Medium (Bairds) - (145 EBC)

Pale Liquid Extract = Morgans Master Malt Extract "Lager Pale" EBC=??

Hops pellets from Craftbrewer. Final Cascade addition (57g) at flameout.

cheers,

piraterum

View attachment SNPA.bsm

I brewed a very similar SNPA clone recipe to this one last week (still in primary)and when i was looking for it in the first place i found a bunch of different ways to go ,dry hop or not .But i did find that if you were going to dry hop you wouldnt use as much hops at flameout ,probably 28g at flame out and 28 g dryhopped only what i found.

Hey Guys,

Does this mash schedule look feasible?

Hey,

What 'mash schedule'? You are mashing 2.1 or so kg of grain, correct? I would shoot for a 68 deg mash and all will be good in the world IMO!

57g at flame out is fine, its only 1.2g per L [Total] hoppage... for this beer seems about right.

That said, I am not a partial expert and am only offering a couple of cents!

2 in fact!

Go for it!

Sorry should have read hop schedule, not mash schedule ;)

Yeah its a partial using 2.1kg of grain so will just be doing:

Mash at 67-68 deg for 60mins
Mash out at 75.5-76.5 deg for 15 mins

Thanks for your ideas. I reckon i'll leave it at 57g at flame out and see how it goes. It its lacking aroma i'll try a split flame out / dry hop.

IMO this one needs a big cascade dry hop. I've brewed it as per the Northern brewer recipe and found it a bit "lacking.." a few days before kegging. Dry hopped with 90g cascade flowers (60lt batch) and it turned out great. Have done another since, been in the keg for less than a week and I'm enjoying it.

$0.02

What is the theory behind the 30 min Perle addition in this hop schedule?
Why not use Magnum or Cascade?
Is the Perle addition going to make that much difference to this beer?

You could still turn out a good beer if you subbed it for Magnum but for my money (Roubles) this beer, when you can find an example in good condition (which has only happened for me once), is all about its amazing balance and changing anything will effect that. If you don't wanna buy some Perle you will definitely bash out a tops beer with a substitute hop.

What is the theory behind the 30 min Perle addition in this hop schedule?
Why not use Magnum or Cascade?
Is the Perle addition going to make that much difference to this beer?

Actually it used to be all Perle for bittering. A little bit of character will sneak in from the Perle addition and you might be better off using Perle completely instead of Magnum even. I suspect the magnum addition is just for the AA% and cost saving.

And SN doesnt dry hop theirs. Just a heavy late hop addition. Say 50-60g in a 20L batch. You will get plenty of hoppy goodness if your beer is brewed well.

Actually it used to be all Perle for bittering. A little bit of character will sneak in from the Perle addition and you might be better off using Perle completely instead of Magnum even. I suspect the magnum addition is just for the AA% and cost saving.

And SN doesnt dry hop theirs. Just a heavy late hop addition. Say 50-60g in a 20L batch. You will get plenty of hoppy goodness if your beer is brewed well.

That's interesting. I've been holding of on making this as I haven't got any Magnum floating around. Although I've been reading magnum is a really clean bittering hop.

I've got some Magnum and some Cascade but not the Perle. I've never had the opportunity to try SNPA, the only American beer I've ever seen here in Tassie was Miller. I was just interested in the schedule itself because my next brew is gonna be an APA and I've only ever done two hop brews so far.
I do have some Hallertau Mittlefrueh which perhaps would suffice. Also, some Northern Brewer which I have read can be used as a substitute for Perle.
Perhaps a 30 min Magnum addition this time around, save my Hallertau for something Bavarian and experiment later with the 30min addition.

Slightly OT but I'm doing a couple of Americans right now for the BABBs mini comp (Chinook / Centennial and Columbus / Amarillo) and my hop schedule for both of them was:

40 bittering hop 90 mins
30 the other hop 10 mins
30 the other hop french press tea 4 days
30 the other hop french press tea on cold crashing (last night actually)

cold crash 4 days (gelatine, polyclar etc) then bottle.

Both smelling and tasting fantastic so far, quite OOT with hop flavour and aroma as these Yank jobs seem to be.

french_press.JPG

Woolies $9 for the press

Interesting BribieG. The more I brew the more I'm starting to like the way the yanks do it. Although, since starting out with liquid yeasts I'm also beginning to appreciate a yeast driven beer as well.

I've got this down but not in concrete,

Magnum @ 60mins for 22 IBU's
Magnum @ 30mins for 10 IBU's
Cascade @ 10mins for 5 IBU's
1g/litre Cascade @ flameout
1g/litre Cascade dry hopped

Still trying to resist subbing out the 30 min addition for Northern Brewer

With all that lovely Cascade in the SNPA you would wonder how a hint of Perle would be detectable.
I really want to see how Magnum performs as a bittering hop this time round.

Magnum is a great bittering hop, never used it that late though so I'll be very much looking forward to hearing your results. I reckon you've made the right decision steering clear of the Mittlefrueh - the NB might go okay if you change your mind. I'd be doing the Magnum thing myself if I didn't have any Perle.

Hard to work out your Cascade amounts. Have you split the flameout addition from the famous northernbrewer thread between flameout and dry hop?

Hard to work out your Cascade amounts. Have you split the flameout addition from the famous northernbrewer thread between flameout and dry hop?

I've used Cascade before with those amounts and achieved pretty good results so I thought I'd stick with that for this one. It makes more sense to me to dry hop 2/3 way through fermentation to replace some of the aroma driven off by fermentation. I'll get more from my Cascade that way, larger scale brewing maybe a different story. It's possible I may back the flameout and 10 min Cascade additions back 5 mins for more flavour.
I'm yet to read all of that famous thread, 30 pages to get through but looks a good read and I will. Further tweeking could come from that.

Another option, I could just throw 50g Cascade pellets directly into the wort at flameout and just leave them in there.

Magnum is a great bittering hop, never used it that late though so I'll be very much looking forward to hearing your results.

This one is that good I could drink the whole batch and it's only been in the bottle for three weeks. The bitterness is the smoothest I've experienced.

Latest posts

Back