Sideways keg!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning, where I live it is anyway,

Quick question/brainstorm.

Would there be any ill effects from laying a keg on its side in this part of my keezer, wouldn’t be completely flat, somewhat angled up, but the dip tube would be at the bottom, and bent to reach the lowest point. In theory I can’t see a problem. But has anyone actually tried it?

Cheers Daniel

Attachments

• 3F5E0293-B897-4ABB-9212-894256813C96.jpeg
    3F5E0293-B897-4ABB-9212-894256813C96.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 33
I think Ikeger offer a product to do this, has a flexiable dip tube with a float on it, you can buy th edip tube seperatly also from keg king and kegland I think

One unexpected side effect that you might not have thought of. The rate of gas exchange between the beer and the CO2 in the head space is dependant on a bunch of factors, temperature and pressure being the two big ones.
But surface area as a function of beer volume will determine how quickly the amount of dissolved CO2 will reach equilibrium.
Means your pressure settings are going to be very important, you will want a very stable temperature and pressure or the amount of fizz in the beer will be all over the place. It will be very difficult to control to.
A good temperature controller, a fan in the fridge and an excellent regulator would make life a lot easier.
Might be worth looking at a couple of short kegs.
Mark

Back