RIS - Clogged in Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Augo

Reaction score
G'day everyone,
Brewed and kegged an All Grain RIS. Everything went fine as far as brew day, fermentation, cold crashing, kegging etc....

This year I am working away from home a lot. Schedule is 3 months away, couple weeks home. Rinse, repeat. That's why I brewed the RIS - I normally wouldn't have the patience to let it fully condition over the course of 9+months.....:)

Anyway, first couple of times home; no probs. Pouring beautifully, coffee / dark tan looking head, engine oil consistency and mouth feel, and the taste changed as you would expect at 3 months and 6 months.

Last time I was home - 9 months - tried to pour and only a dribble coming from the tap, which then petered out to nothing. Pressure indications are the keg is carbed, but nothing out the tap. The small bit that I did get tasted overly of soy sauce - not an "off flavour" but more like super raw and new RIS....

Question; Over such a long conditioning time, have I settled a heap of gunk at the bottom of the keg and clogged the dip tube?? If so, what's the solution? Depressurise? Rack to another keg?

Never had this with other beers. Any constructive comments appreciated!!
Cheers,
Augo

Hi Augo, my first thought was frozen beer. Especially since you commented on the soy sauce flavour. Check that the keg is not hard against the wall of the fridge where the fridge cooling lines run. As far a funk in the bottom of the keg goes, generally that still pools nicely in a layer at the bottom and it doesn’t get disrupted until the keg is about to blow.

Hi Augo, my first thought was frozen beer. Especially since you commented on the soy sauce flavour. Check that the keg is not hard against the wall of the fridge where the fridge cooling lines run. As far a funk in the bottom of the keg goes, generally that still pools nicely in a layer at the bottom and it doesn’t get disrupted until the keg is about to blow.

Thanks Razz, will definitely check that. Far simpler first step to resolve as well! Home in a few weeks, and will let you know how it goes.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back