Anyone used their mini keg on it's side?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FarsideOfCrazy

Reaction score
Anyone used their mini keg on it's side?

Just asking because the 3.78L size would go nicely laying down on the shelf in fridge inside the house, then I wouldn't have to walk up to man's land to get another beer.

I was thinking that the silicone tubing with a SS barbed joiner would keep it on the bottom/ side of the keg. The mini reg would be able to fitted in a way to keep it upright. Just need to source an elbow for the tap or even just use a picnic tap on a hose.

Can't see why not if you have the dip tube bent to bottom with keg on a slight slant. I'd use a picnic tap set up, so much easier. If you have the non return valve on you reg then this would be ok as is.

The silicon tubing shipped with the minikegs, naturally bends downward and should allow you to dispense with the keg on its side. It's actually how iKegger advertise their 10L;
2-10l-kegs-in-fridge-with-gas_b32161fb-a89c-4b5d-b336-faaa93a89078_large.jpg

Although as Grott says, non return valve is ideal.

Should work as long as the silicone pickup is at the lowest part of the keg.

Might be a good idea to put a small weight at the end of the hose, like a sanitised stainless barb or similar.

I'm thinking a Stailnless Steel Wheel on the end of the silicon dip tube. To minimize sediment pickup. A cradle to hold the top end a little higher to tilt beer to the bottom?
(insert geeky emoticon that seems unavailable)

The silicon tubing shipped with the minikegs, naturally bends downward and should allow you to dispense with the keg on its side. It's actually how iKegger advertise their 10L;
2-10l-kegs-in-fridge-with-gas_b32161fb-a89c-4b5d-b336-faaa93a89078_large.jpg

Although as Grott says, non return valve is ideal.

Hi MTB,

Didn't think that you were supposed to lay the c02 bottle on it's side, as liquid c02 can damage the reg? I was going to use the mini reg with a c02 bulb for dispensing, which I can position in a way for it not be a problem.

Liquid CO2 is bad for regs, yes, but my understanding is that on their side the liquid level remains lower than the valve. Ought to be someone who can chime in and clarify that though.

Latest posts

Back