Shelf Life Of A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warthog

Reaction score
g day all
i have 2 questions for you all,

firstly, how long will the beer stay good in the keg once you have tapped it?

and secondly,in my fermenting fridge, i have had mould appear in the bottom of the fridge(been fermenting ales at 21deg) can this affect the beer in the fermenter. Does anyone know of an easy remedy to that? have been wiping it every time i see it appear but are comcerned about the spores floating around in an enclosed space

The most accurate answer would be 'depends'. Longevity relies less son whether it's kegged or bottled, but rather on what style it is

g day all

and secondly,in my fermenting fridge, i have had mould appear in the bottom of the fridge(been fermenting ales at 21deg) can this affect the beer in the fermenter. Does anyone know of an easy remedy to that? have been wiping it every time i see it appear but are comcerned about the spores floating around in an enclosed space

I have this ATM with an Aussie fermenting at 18C,the fermenters sealed so I should not be a worry.
Good clean with bleach is in order after it's done.

Batz

Exit mould works a treat....make sure you use it when you have finished fermenting.

The mould should have no effect as long as its not in the fermenter...I once had to throw out the tap because it had worked its way up into the tap.

Exit mould works a treat....make sure you use it when you have finished fermenting.

The mould should have no effect as long as its not in the fermenter...I once had to throw out the tap because it had worked its way up into the tap.

this is what concerns me, what about those little packets that you get which absorb moisture, they come with all sorts of products, might keep some and throw them in the bottom of the fridge, will let you know if it helps

Commercial beers (Megaswill) have a life of 6 months, can't see how one could not drink there beer in less than 1 month. 20L used to only last 1 to 2 weeks at my place.

the oldest keg ive put on tap was almost 12 months old. the oldest i have at the moment is the keg im drinking atm is 6 months and its a black lager.

g day all
i have 2 questions for you all,

firstly, how long will the beer stay good in the keg once you have tapped it?

Way way back when I was doing kits, I had a keg of stout in my fridge that would have gone for 8mths. Currently have a cider which was made back in March.

BYB

Yes the black mould is loving ale temperatures at the moment.

Mould lives on the dirt, dust and other impurities that fall onto the surface of your fridge and fermenter. Attacking the mould with bleach or exit mould alone may not always work, as the soil supporting the mold will offer it some protection from the bleach solution. It is important to clean the surface first with your detergent of choice and then use a bleach solution to finish it off. You have to use some elbow grease to mechanically remove the dirt and most of the mould.

You can safely assume that black mould will come back, there is always dust in the environment and its just waiting for the right degree of temperature and humidity, so you've gotta clean the fridge regularly.

cheers

grant

Yes the black mould is loving ale temperatures at the moment.

Mould lives on the dirt, dust and other impurities that fall onto the surface of your fridge and fermenter. Attacking the mould with bleach or exit mould alone may not always work, as the soil supporting the mold will offer it some protection from the bleach solution. It is important to clean the surface first with your detergent of choice and then use a bleach solution to finish it off. You have to use some elbow grease to mechanically remove the dirt and most of the mould.

You can safely assume that black mould will come back, there is always dust in the environment and its just waiting for the right degree of temperature and humidity, so you've gotta clean the fridge regularly.

cheers

grant

Having just started with a fermenting fridge, this is good to know. Its empty at the moment so I will attack it after work tommorow
:beer:

and secondly,in my fermenting fridge, i have had mould appear in the bottom of the fridge(been fermenting ales at 21deg) can this affect the beer in the fermenter. Does anyone know of an easy remedy to that? have been wiping it every time i see it appear but are concerned about the spores floating around in an enclosed space

I had this problem with my fridge and fully cleaned with bleach. I then put in a computer fan to keep the air circulating and have had no more mould problems since.

Cheers
Ian

Back