Shaking The Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chiefman

Reaction score
Just a quick question.. Does lightly shaking the fermenter during or after the fermentaion affect the beer in any way. Just to lightly move the yeast on the bottom.

I guess during you might get the yeast stuck on the sides above the wort if its too early on in fermentation. After - just leave it sitting a day or so after movement if you are worried about beer clarity.

Are you talking transport for SG reading taking or are you talking just for fun??

My first few K&K's - I would check and think "WAKE UP YA B*TCH!!" and would rock the f*ck out of the fermenter....

Can't say it did it any good, equally cant say it did any harm BUT I no longer do that and my brews are only getting better.....

Your brew - treat how ya want!!

Cheers
Cocko

My first few K&K's - I would check and think "WAKE UP YA B*TCH!!" and would rock the f*ck out of the fermenter....

Cheers
Cocko

Yeah something like that ;) Had little activity in airlock :( Could have been a slight leak

Com on... you know better than any that your airlock is nothing to go by....

SG readings and other visuals signs are the reality of life.....

Butters may tell you that your airlock is ALL that matters :p = Jokes, just jokes...

Seriously, I think you know what to do - now go do it!!

HEHEHE.

I give mine a gently swirl after about 4 days. Not to lift any yeast off the bottom, but just to make sure all the sugars are mixed through and I don't have pockets of unfermented wort.

You want to swirl gently... you don't want to aerate at all after fermentation has kicked off. Aeration during/after fermentation leads to oxidation, which gives you sherry and/or wet cardboard characteristics. Had wet cardboard once, it's not pleasant.

I give mine a gently swirl after about 4 days. Not to lift any yeast off the bottom, but just to make sure all the sugars are mixed through and I don't have pockets of unfermented wort.

Yeah This is what im really concerned about. (should have said this in the post I suppose <_< ) Sureley no matter how much activity you have in your fermenter there will be very small stagnant area's at the bottom. Probably TOO small to worry about anyway.

its all about the "no splash" swirl.

If you have a healthy yeast count they will find the fermentables.

Saying that there are some strains that floc out a bit early and need to be roused back into the wort. This is mainly caused by temperature dropping during the ferment

Kabooby :)

I brew to 24 L nett in 30 L fermenters but as I mostly do ales nowadays I like to give plenty of headspace for 'cauliflower head' when using top fermenting yeasts like Nottingham. So I usually brew to 23 L Then on day 3 or 4 when the head has subsided I make the batch up to 25 L with 2 L of water that has been boiled to remove the oxygen, and cooled down.

At that stage I add dry hops etc as well and stir the whole lot into the brew smoothly without splashing. Then I reseal and there's a few more days of activity that flushes the headspace with CO2. That's just my method and no failures yet, but if you are brewing to 23 L from start to finish I'd leave well alone.

If you remove the oxygen from water you have Hydrogen.

Boiling will sanitise your water a little though.

Cheers

Breezy

Ahhh, it all makes sense now. Should have been sanitizing NOT electrolyzing :D

Com on... you know better than any that your airlock is nothing to go by....

SG readings and other visuals signs are the reality of life.....

Butters may tell you that your airlock is ALL that matters :p = Jokes, just jokes...

Seriously, I think you know what to do - now go do it!!

HEHEHE.

Airlocks are evil, EVIL I tells ya! Come the revolution, when the red flag is raised over parliament house, the bugger that invented airlocks will be the first against the wall. :lol:

If you remove the oxygen from water you have Hydrogen.

Boiling will sanitise your water a little though.

Cheers

Breezy

Dissolved oxygen. Higher temps mean lower solubility of gases, therefore after boiling it will take quite some time for the levels of dissolved O2, CO2 etc to return to 'normal'. Othe gasses that are added in the water supply like chlorine and fluorine will be mostly driven off.

Yeah This is what im really concerned about. (should have said this in the post I suppose <_< ) Sureley no matter how much activity you have in your fermenter there will be very small stagnant area's at the bottom. Probably TOO small to worry about anyway.
It will probably sort itself out at priming time.

so i dont want to be a broken record... but im starting my second brew and the airlock hasnt move one bit NOT ONE BIT I TELLS YA!! but the SG started at 1040 and has dropped to 1032 (i started 4pm friday) so coming up to 48 hrs late airlock aint moved but the SG has dropped.... would that be normal and okay? im all about the hydrometre readings but thought since my first one wouldnt shut up now this one aint moving at all its a bit odd....

It is normal!
You haven't sealed the fermenter properly.

Back to topic.
I rock my fermenter gently to get it to drop a couple of points after a week with ales.
Some ale yeast flocculates so quicky they stop fermenting.
Just try to avoid aerating it.

so i havent sealed it properly as in i need to open it and seal it better or she'll be right? the reasonm i added it to this thread is i thought maybe i needed to shake it and it sounded fun...

Latest posts

Back