Sg At 1018 For 2 Days.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deviant

Reaction score
Hi all, I am 5th day of my first brew. SG seems to have stopped at 1018 for 2 days now. The instructions that came with the kit said that using liquid sugar i should get down to about 1013. But fermentation seems to have stopped. Is this ok? If so, what would be an acceptable SG to start bottling at at?

Cheers,

Deviant.

Sounds pretty high for those ingredients (although your "recipe" does lack a certain level of specificity).

Try giving the fermenter a good swirl (minimise splashing as much as you can) to get some yeast back up into action from the bottom and maybe raise the temp a couple of degrees (depending on what you're at at the moment of course - 22 is about the very highest I'd think about going). If that doesn't work over a day or two try racking into a second fermenter which might do that job a little better (a search will give plenty of info about how to rack, just ask here if there is too much info (which does happen from time to time and can be confusing)).

[EDIT: Typo (x 3!)and more info]

1018 is still too high, im guessing you probably had a OG in the way of 1040 ish. (Going off a standard kit plus kg sugar ratio)
What temp have you fermented at? did you use kit yeast? was it a 23L batch?
Several factors come into play here.

Hmmmm i did ferment a little high, at about 27... again, the kit said between 18 and 28.. wish i had known better..

yes i did use kit yeast, and it was a 22L Batch.

LOL, gotta love the kits saying to brew a lager at 18-28deg :rolleyes:
Just remember mate, lagers love cold temps, 10-12deg.
As said, give the carboy a gentle swirl, and check the gravity in a few days time.

Yes, someone was telling me that. "even is that say that is a lager yeast, it is an ale yeast"

I was thinking that i might give it a swirl, and wrap a cool wet towel around it to try to keep that temp down...

but from what i have said, would you say that that there is still a good chance that it will be ok?

Hard to say what she will taste like mate, im always wary of them big brew temps though, but you will find out soon enough.
I remember the first brew i made, ended up like dry apple cider... but its all a learning curve.
In the future, id reccomend using a better yeast, also brew enhancer and some additional hops if thats your thing.
On a diffrent note... some of the belgian beers love the warmer brew temps, you could search for a kit recipe. Think i used Coopers sparkling can when i made a batch maaaaany moons ago.
It turned out ok, def not fantastic though.

I would say its not going to taste to good my first 2 brews was between 24-28 and both was not very nice at all. I could just drink them mixing half with a cheap beer. Oetinger beer from dan murphies would be a good one. As suggested next time try keep it cool, I tried wet towel but it was 40 deg 3 days in a row and in a hot shed the towel was dry within a hour. But cheapest thing is a ice bath or get something insulated the fermenter will fit in and put ice bottles in there to reach and maintain the lower temps, plus use good yeast.

I dont think lowering the temp now will make it any better. as the yeast have already made the off flavours. yeah its a bugger to loose a batch coz dodgy info on the kits but least you only done one unlike me :S

LOL, gotta love the kits saying to brew a lager at 18-28deg :rolleyes:
Just remember mate, lagers love cold temps, 10-12deg.

Yes but some kit 'lagers' come with an ale yeast and 10-12 will be too cold.

28 is still too hot for anything though.

yeah its a bugger to loose a batch coz dodgy info on the kits but least you only done one unlike me :S

The first part of the above is very much true - but don't take it for granted that you brew is knackered. Yeah, it could have been better if it were cooler but persist and when you taste the next one (where you brew it cooler) you'll see why you're working a bit harder and why it is worth it. It'l still be beer and being your first one it'll still be special (an no one's first is ideal). Good luck with it, bloke.

Yeah I never tipped mine out I just mixed it with other beer. If I left it for longer then 3 weeks it could of been slightly better but the fruity ethers from high temps I doubt would of when

Latest posts

Back