Serving Beer Guiness Style

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs478

Reaction score
G'day,

I have just got myself a tap nozzle and cellar mix gas for serving beer guiness style. I hooked up the gas to gas up a stout I brewed and applied 20psi of pressure with the beer in a fridge at about 4 C, and left it overnight. I have 4m of 5mm I.D. beer line coming from the keg to the tap, and the next day it wasnt pouring with much head. I had a couple of mates over, so I applied 40 psi for a little while so I could get more head, and the physical pressure helped a head form. The beer was flat, which was expected, but had a great head.

I left it at 40 psi for another day, to get some more gas dissolved, and then dropped it back to 10 psi.

I couple of days later I tried to pour one and it all came out froth. I tried dropping the pouring pressure by releasing gas form the keg, but it was still all froth. Over the last week I have continually degassed the keg so I could start again.

I know that a physcial pressure of 10psi at about 2-4 C, when it reaches equilibrium, will pour a decent fizzy beer when using regular CO2 and a normal tap, but I cant find any info on what gassing pressures for dissolving, amount of volume dissolved and physical pouring pressure (at the tap) are required for this type of beer pouring. I am just putting together my new keg fridge, and before I measure out a new length of hose to go from keg to tap I thought I could get peoples opinons on these issues.

Thanks

Pip

A friend of mine bought a tank of beer gas (CO2/N2 mix) and if I recall correctly, he has it set to a whatever his normal CO2 only pressure would be. Hope this helps.

guinness is mainly nitrogenated which is a gas far less soluble than CO2. For beer to absorb a gas it is time headspace in the keg and pressure dependant. It sounds as if you have overcarbed with CO2 hence the foam.

I am coming at this from more of a commercial setup I have used in the past and without knowledge of your keg set up would not like to steer you into the wrong direction. What sort of keg is it and what pressure rating does it have?

After you have nitro'd the brew you can then go onto a 45/55 mix to dispense the product.

I amusing a 60:40 mix of N2/CO2. I am suing a 19L ordinary homebrew keg. I had filled it up with about 17L of beer when I first carbed it.

What I want to know is...

1. Using 60:40 N2:CO2, roughly how many volumes of gas are used by commercial brewers.
2. What Pressure is required at the tap when pouring?

I amusing a 60:40 mix of N2/CO2. I am suing a 19L ordinary homebrew keg. I had filled it up with about 17L of beer when I first carbed it.

What I want to know is...

1. Using 60:40 N2:CO2, roughly how many volumes of gas are used by commercial brewers.
2. What Pressure is required at the tap when pouring?

I have used the cellarmix you have described. I gas my kegs exactly how I would with straight Co2. My method is to force carb. The norm for me with Co2 is 300kpa for 45sec. With my Gas mix the norm is near on a minute. I find it better to force carb that little bit less try a pour and force carb a bit more if that is what is required. As has been stated N2 is a little bit harder to dissolve in liquid. Remember to make sure the liquid is cold before attempting to carbonate. I love the end result with cellarmix. Soft tasting, creamy head beer!! And as the Guinness comercial shows, waiting for the head to settle. Invigorating!!

BYB

Back