Secondary Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brog1

Reaction score
i just did my first all grain went pretty well, have never tried secondary fementing before,
i was wondering if you can put it in a cube and stick an air lock in it, seems ok in theory and do you just leave it to clear for a couple of weeks ,will go into keg when finished, so shouldn,t need to put sugar in to carbonate.
i suppose what i asking is, is the whole point of secondary fermenting just to give a clearer beer, before going into the keg to condition and gas it up?

i just did my first all grain went pretty well, have never tried secondary fementing before,
i was wondering if you can put it in a cube and stick an air lock in it, seems ok in theory and do you just leave it to clear for a couple of weeks ,will go into keg when finished, so shouldn,t need to put sugar in to carbonate.
i suppose what i asking is, is the whole point of secondary fermenting just to give a clearer beer, before going into the keg to condition and gas it up?

That's what I used to do - got lazy with the last couple of batches and just put the fermenter in the frdge to CC then into the keg. Some people on here recommend racking to secondary, others don't. If you decide to do it just be sure to keep everything sanitary and syphon quietly (no splashing).

That's what I used to do - got lazy with the last couple of batches and just put the fermenter in the frdge to CC then into the keg. Some people on here recommend racking to secondary, others don't. If you decide to do it just be sure to keep everything sanitary and syphon quietly (no splashing).

thats one thing i was concerned about, increasing the chance of getting an infection. its fermenting in the fridge anyway maybe i'll just turn the fridge down at the end of fermenting. how long do you cc for before you put it into the keg

Its really just a way to avoid Autolysis, CC in a cube is OK too. Just remember that when racking, the idea is to avoid the splashing as mentioned. Since oxygenation is the biggest home brew killer and a small squirt of metabisulphite in the receiving vessel is usually sufficient to displace it.

Dave

Latest posts

Back