second hand keg importing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
Ok, so I had an interesting offer from one of the sellers I've been communicating with... 1000 nearly new second hand kegs. Apparently all tested and good. $45CIF to Sydney. Seems a little pricey to me. Does anyone have any experience with how much it 'should' cost? 1000 kegs - is that a full container?

I can't answer any of your questions, but, if you were to sell these for $55 each plus shipping, you'd undercut all the competition (read, sell them fast) and you'd have $10K in your pocket. I'd buy several from you!

A container is either 20ft or 40ft, and normally 8ft high & wide (External dimensions). With the keg size u should be able to work it out from there.

standard 19L and 9L cornelius ball...

lael said:
Ok, so I had an interesting offer from one of the sellers I've been communicating with... 1000 nearly new second hand kegs. Apparently all tested and good. $45CIF to Sydney. Seems a little pricey to me. Does anyone have any experience with how much it 'should' cost? 1000 kegs - is that a full container?

Plus import duty, gst and quarantine inspections and freight forwarding charges they will owe you about $60 a piece

From memory a 20ft shipping container holds 325ish 50 litre kegs.

Assuming they from Alibaba?

Yeah the taxes and customs etc can be costly

Id be interested to hear more about this.

I'd be looking to buy at least 3 from you if you go ahead. I reckon you could make a decent profit out of them if you wanted to.

Not sure if this info is useful.

I'm living in China. I've had 5 kegs delivered in the past 6 months. 2 were ball lock 19L and 3 were pin lock of which all came pressurised. The pin lock ones still had a bit of Coke in them. One of the kegs blew a hole out of the arse about 5 minutes after cleaning and testing.

It didn't quite turn into a jet pack but gave a bit of excitement to the morning.

The keg had been eaten away from the Coke where there is a divot for the outlet tube.

I guess the moral is stay away from Coke (nasty shit) and drink more beer... And expect that a couple of kegs will be duds.

The price was $30.50ea without postage (inside China postage was $3).

mb-squared said:
I can't answer any of your questions, but, if you were to sell these for $55 each plus shipping, you'd undercut all the competition (read, sell them fast) and you'd have $10K in your pocket. I'd buy several from you!
$10 x 100 = $1000

Don't want the guy to think he will be Scrooge McDuck

scrooge-mcduck-make-it-rain.jpg

Yeah, if you can get them cheap enough, I'd probably grab a couple 9 litre jobbies

Regardless of them claiming they were nearly new, I would be sceptical about the condition and whether they have things like pullable pressure relief valves.

Yes once you have taken delivery you have no option of return or refund, be very careful.
Not some thing I would undertake without viewing first.
Nev

Also keep in mind when it gets to AQIS for clearing - one dollop of dirt on a keg from sitting in some foreign storage yard for the last 5 years and you'll have to fork out a pretty hefty cleaning and sanitising fee to an approved contractor before they get released.

Gryphon Brewing said:
Yes once you have taken delivery you have no option of return or refund, be very careful.
Not some thing I would undertake without viewing first.
Nev
Damn fine excuse for a Junket :D

Ask if they can jam 2000 9 litre kegs in the same space and get back to us, please. I see money in your future.

Latest posts

Back