Sealing Up A Crown Urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbiebrewer

Reaction score
I got my new crown urn a couple of days ago and I was wondering should I seal up the vents in the top and the water gauge at the front for a better heat capacity or should I just leave well enough alone?

Edit: On further thought I realise that I should also do it for sanitation purposes, or am I wrong in that thought?

Leave well alone...

Just lag the body of the urn if you wish to get better heat retention & a stronger boil.

Cheers Ross

I've done dozens of boils with my Birko and my new Crown and never had any problems with the sight tube causing infections etc. I'd thought about getting the tube removed and the hole welded up, but on balance it's handy, as I no chill and it gives a good indication of how much is left in the urn as it runs off into the cube.

As far as the boil goes, is it concealed or exposed element?

Edit: also don't seal up those vents in the lid. At the end of the boil I put the lid on for about 30 seconds and when those vents are snorting steam like an enraged bull I turn the power off and cover with a clean towel and leave for 30 minutes to settle the trub out before no chilling.

Camping mat might be the go, then, or the silver padded stuff I think guys get from Clark Rubber.

Back