Screw Top Wine Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaunms

Reaction score
Hi

Please advise, can I bottle my brew in used screw top wine bottles?

Cheers
Shaun

In a word NO

They wont hold the pressure.

If you want to use wine bottles use Champers bottles and use a bench capper with the right bell for the larger caps , They work a treat no chance of bottle bomb as the hold a shite load of pressure before they let go.

As said - no.

They don't seal well enough to be able to carbonate your beer.

Champagne bottles are possible, but as stated above use proper champagne caps - they're different to crown seals.

If you're wanting to go the super-cheap route, you could use soft drink bottles, but be sure to clean them well first. Also be aware that it would be wise to keep them out of sunlight, as the beer won't have the protection that the brown coopers PET bottles would provide.

My suggestion? Go buy a couple of boxes of Coopers longneck bottles, drink the beer out of those, and reuse.

As said - no.

They don't seal well enough to be able to carbonate your beer.

Champagne bottles are possible, but as stated above use proper champagne caps - they're different to crown seals.

If you're wanting to go the super-cheap route, you could use soft drink bottles, but be sure to clean them well first. Also be aware that it would be wise to keep them out of sunlight, as the beer won't have the protection that the brown coopers PET bottles would provide.

My suggestion? Go buy a couple of boxes of Coopers longneck bottles, drink the beer out of those, and reuse.

There's a dude in Panania giving away crates of the buggers at the moment. Check out the Marketplace section of the forum mate.

If you want to use wine bottles use Champers bottles and use a bench capper with the right bell for the larger caps , They work a treat no chance of bottle bomb as the hold a shite load of pressure before they let go.
+1 for using Champers bottles.
You'll need to purchase a tirage bell for your bench capper, and larger tirage caps, but it's seriously a good investment considering how solid and good looking sparkling wine bottles are.
Around Chrissy and New Years people go through stacks of champers, and you should have no problem scabbing bottles of people.

A lot of wedding function centers will be happy for you to take them (champagne bottles) - some for free some might request a small "donation"

Hi

Please advise, can I bottle my brew in used screw top wine bottles?

Cheers
Shaun

As stated No, Pressure issues for sure, even if some have been lucky
Also green (clear?) glass / P.E.T. is going to leave your beer open to light strike unless you use rho\tetra Iso extract.

Silly question perhaps but whats wrong with BEER bottles?

yeah if you're running low on bottles just have a big BBQ for your mates and buy heaps of longnecks to drink.

Back