Fruit wines.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim0000

Reaction score
Does this forum allow fruit wine discussions?
If so, I will describe my recent success with Jaboticaba wine.

Jim.

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Jaboticaba wine:

I have a tree that produces a lot of fruit. So I harvested a large quantity of it and did a experiment with it to make some wine.
The first batch was only about 1 or 2 kg.
I put the unwashed fruit through a food processor and minced it up to a thick liquid. During this process, I added a cup of (cooled) boiled water and a cup of sugar. The water is the only thing that I sterilised (by boiling, as I have tank water collected from the roof of the house).
I placed this thick must into a 3 ltr. laboratory jug (sterilised), and allowed initial fermentation to begin on the high tannin skins for 2 days.
No additional yeast added. Utilising the natural yeast on the fruit.
I then racked it off the heavy lees into a 1.5 ltr. glass jar and covered it with a cotton cloth.
I left it for two weeks.
Yesterday, I racked it off into a sterilised wine bottle and tasted a small surplus quantity of it.
It is superb!

Very slightly sweet still, but with complex fruit flavours. At this young age, I would assume it would make a good desert wine.

Meanwhile, I have another 12 or 15 litres of it brewing.

I will be making more of it next year, that is for sure.

Jim.

The fruit is somewhat like a grape, but with more tannin and acid flavour.
I like them enough to eat a few, but not many at one time.

I've got a Kilo or so in my freezer waiting for me to find a good recipe.

Was thinking it would be flavouring for a bigger pear or apple batch, but now wondering how much I would get on it's own.

Are you saying 1 Kilo only gets 1 litre ?

Are you saying 1 Kilo only gets 1 litre ?

No. I apologise; I did not measure anything and have only the vaguest idea of the quantities involved.
If I was to guess, I would use volume to volume relationships to estimate the resulting quantity.
Specifically, the volume of the blended fruit, plus (let's say), 10 - 15% of water and sugar) to arrive at the final must volume.
Then, of course, there will be a small percentage loss after initial and final racking off, first the skins, then the lees before maturing.
Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back