Scientific experiment of the day.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pogierob

Reaction score
So I sat down to a 3 Ravens APA for the first time today and as I read the label I noticed it said "store cold - serve at 6-8*C.

so I wandered off and grabbed my thermometer.

points to note.

6 pack was purchased at around 6pm tonight from the local Dan Murphy's
6 pack was put in the food fridge as I'm doing a few adjustments to beer fridge.
6 pack is no longer a 6 pack it's now a 2 pack
I poured No. 4 into a Pint glass which is stored in the freezer of my beer fridge (didn't take freezer temp sorry)
Checked temp and found it to be 2.8*C.
Had a little sip and waited for the temp to rise to 6*C (may have been another sip) using my hands to aid the warming up process by surrounding the pint glass.

Once the beer hit 6*C which is in the serving range. I found the flavour was more pronounced than at the 2.8C with the rye coming through as the main hero for me on the back of the American hops.

It took roughly 5 minutes for the temperature to increase to around 7*C from the 6*C mark.

There are several lessons I learnt from this experiment..

1. Beer tastes better at it's optimum serving temp.
2. I'm pretty shit at experiments
3. I can't watch a pint of beer for longer than 7 minutes in an experiment without seeing if the head sticks to the bottom of said pint glass.
4. I like 3 Ravens APA and probably should try these experiments on something I can resist a bit longer.

Great Success,

I've got $50 worth of Dan Murphy beer credits to spend tomorrow, you sir may have helped me spend a portion of it.

I often sit at the pub and let my coopers warm up...it definatly tastes better.....but allways get ribbed for letting my beer get warm...

6 degrees is cold anyway. Try paddling naked in the ocean when it's 6 degrees.

The only time I want freezing cold beer is when it's 40 degrees outside. My kegs are regularly between 7 and 10.

And more power to you Rob.P :beer:
Ever wonder why commercial beers are served at near freezing point? :p

I often nip up to the International at Spring Hill in Brissie if I have time to spare before my train back & normally love their Geronimo. :super:
What I don't have time for is waiting for a near-freezing pint to warm up in case I miss my train back to the Sunshine Coast.
The International unfortunately does not have a dedicated temp control for their craft beers & so I would need to book into a motel for the night if I waited for the Geronimo to warm up. B)
All complaints fall on etc, etc.

Maybe a couple of them smack pack type hand warmer sand a rubber band?

Try the same thing with a glass of white wine....oh ummm that is if you've run out of beer or your wife is making you drink white wine...of course...

But really, good quality white wine should really open up flavour wise when allowed to warm from the 2-3C it's normally served at, up to anywhere between say 6-10C.

Cheap white wine is a lot more drinkable when it's bloody cold....much like megaswill...

This sounds like an experiment I'd be up for.

To be more thorough I would have to repeat the process for each beer in the 6 pack though

Buy two six packs. Drink one cold, leave the other on the table then compare.

This thread is EXACTLY why I go to AHB on a Friday night!!

Keep up the good (if slightly inoxicated) work!!

I often tell people (who drink the yellow fizzy stuff ) about serving temp and think about when you have a slurpie it tastes so good but when to get to that last melted bit at the bottom it's so sweet it's very hard to drink. You just smashed a litre of it ,only cause it was at -4 .
Good experiment though . Now try it out with the real popular yellow fizzy stuff. :p

carniebrew said:
Try the same thing with a glass of white wine....oh ummm that is if you've run out of beer or your wife is making you drink white wine...of course...

But really, good quality white wine should really open up flavour wise when allowed to warm from the 2-3C it's normally served at, up to anywhere between say 6-10C.

Cheap white wine is a lot more drinkable when it's bloody cold....much like megaswill...
Its important with Red as well as qarming it releases some of the volatile compounds

Surely you all know that a good beer should only be served at 12c-13c with low carbonation. :p

S.E said:
Surely you all know that a good beer should only be served at 12c-13c with low carbonation. :p
...but only if you bathe monthly and lost 5-nil in a recent cricket series. FTFY :drinks:

TidalPete said:
And more power to you Rob.P :beer:
Ever wonder why commercial beers are served at near freezing point? :p

I often nip up to the International at Spring Hill in Brissie if I have time to spare before my train back & normally love their Geronimo. :super:
What I don't have time for is waiting for a near-freezing pint to warm up in case I miss my train back to the Sunshine Coast.
The International unfortunately does not have a dedicated temp control for their craft beers & so I would need to book into a motel for the night if I waited for the Geronimo to warm up. B)
All complaints fall on etc, etc.
This is the main reason I've never been a fan of "craft" beers served at places like the old Platform Bar, Scratch Bar, Archive, wherever.
Because the beer comes from the same cold room and is often served off the same frozen font array as the VB and supercold XXXX Gold, you get a glass of frozen beer that smells vaguely of Amarillo or something and freezes your tongue off after a first gulp.

Even though our local has a choice of 150 Lashes and White Rabbit Dark Ale I more often than not just throw down a couple of Hahn Super Dry when I'm in there.

Edit: that bathing monthly comment was uncalled for. I bathe weekly whether I need it or not.

Latest posts

Back