Schnitzel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first chicken breast schniztels last week. Parmesan cheese, salt n pepper and parsley in mixed in the crumbs, hot chips, home made chilli sauce, salad. I was very happy. Will do them again. My two little boys loved them too. Yep ive had bad ones in pubs where they are burnt to a crisp and dripping with oil.
Cheers
Steve

The ony time i use breast is on the whole bird, schnitzel or Poached.. favourite use is in Hainanese Chicken :icon_drool2:

Thigh is the way to go for everything else.. best way is marinated in a hot Vietnamese satay i can buy at the local asian grocer (lots of dried chilli, peanut, garlic etc) then grilled and popped into a baguette with asian salad greens and fish sauce based dressing (Nuoc Cham)... awesome.

I shudder when i see the kan-tong etc ad's where they stirfry (in a nonstick 3 inch thick 'wok') chicken breast! diced chicken breast = dry rubber bullets. end of story.

4* try this....

jimmys_sate_sauce.JPG

Jimmy's Sate (made in hong kong) not typically SATAY but made from soy beans and a little peanut. you only need a little..... Its the BOMB!

One of my secret ingredients.... not so secret.

Always use breasts for schnittys, never thought of using thighs.....

Always use thighs for the case swap ringburner B) never thought of using breasts.....

OCD maybe?

http://www.mrsparmas.com.au/

They used to do a massive parma at the Skinny Dog in Kew.

and who says its not about the crumbing on a snitz, best parma i've ever had was when i used to work at the lounge on swanston st and the cook there would cota the snitz's in crushed up CC's and cornflake crumbs. was fantastic.
Thanks mate.
Thats right near whear I stay when in Melbourne :beerbang: I stay right accross from the Shark Finn restaurant in Little Bouke :D

4* try this....
Jimmy's Sate (made in hong kong) not typically SATAY but made from soy beans and a little peanut. you only need a little..... Its the BOMB!
One of my secret ingredients.... not so secret.

Ive got 1/2 a bottle of it in my fridge atm actually! This stuff im talking about is completly different, the packaging has fluro Green, Yellow or Orange labels (in terms of Mild, Hot, Extra Hot.) This stull is really crunchy, garlicy, oily and :icon_drool2: . perfect for a roll filler on a hot summers day with a few beers. I'll have a look at the asian grocer next time in there and get a bottle. I know its made Locally in Victoria.. i just cannot remember the name of the brand. One thinkg i do know is its got allot of veit writing on it. The only things in english are the ingredients, "Viet Satay", and the heat rating!

As mentioned above, thigh is good schitz too. I usually get a whole bunch of them, give em a quick shallow fry so they are nice and golden and then line a shallow baking dish (lasagne dish) with them. Then smother in a good passata, ham and cheese and bake till golden and bubbling.

Its like a lovely big schnitzel bake, mmmmmmm :icon_drool2:

(leftover thigh schnitzel also fit perfectly in a long roll for an awesome lunch!)

Cheers SJ

Yeah bol snitz rocks but this sounded great esp as its a trad 'take away' item. Wish we could get that here

I hate Schnitzels..... Working on getting rid of them from my current venue.... the only way they will be present is on a burger within a week or so... so many pub chefs throw them on because a. they're lazy or b. they are pressured be the shit dick red neck managers they work for.....

don't get me wrong - the day will probably come when they will see time on my menus in some way or another but for now they are currently banned in any Ivonated kitchen.....

Ivonavich said:
I hate Schnitzels..... Working on getting rid of them from my current venue.... the only way they will be present is on a burger within a week or so... so many pub chefs throw them on because a. they're lazy or b. they are pressured be the shit dick red neck managers they work for.....

don't get me wrong - the day will probably come when they will see time on my menus in some way or another but for now they are currently banned in any Ivonated kitchen.....
completly agree that they arent restaurant food but as pub or take away food they are great. Proccessed crap also jas no place beinh passed off as schnitzel.

Got to respect tthe origin of the food though. Love german food.

Is it normal if i just woke up, came on here and saw the thread labelled 'schnitzel' and now i have an incredible desire for a big schnitty with chips and gravy for breakfast, instead of a bowl of cereal ? Heck even bacon and eggs wouldn't cut it right now.

joshF said:
Is it normal if i just woke up, came on here and saw the thread labelled 'schnitzel' and now i have an incredible desire for a big schnitty with chips and gravy for breakfast, instead of a bowl of cereal ? Heck even bacon and eggs wouldn't cut it right now.
see thats where your wrong. Bbq schnitzel from mrs parmas. Nice fat schnitzel with bacon egg bbq and beetroot and bbq sauce. Yuuuuum.

joshF said:
STFU JoshF! I is sposed to be eatin' all healthy-like and all, and that sounds the bomb right now. Reminds me of Lois the Pie Queen's waffles with fried chicken and cream sausage gravy in Oakland, California. Oh. My. God.

For a really top-notch traditional schnitzel in Melbourne try Elisabeth's Little Hungarian on Caulfield Road in Caulfield. Or the stuffed smoked trotter. Real good, real honest no bullshit incredible food here.

My local has wiena Wednesday and they are pretty darn good.

The worst i havechad was a chicken parmagiana that consisted of an overlooked chicken schnitzel, with supermarket tomato sauce, sliced tomatoes and grated cool cheese .

citymorgue2 said:
completly agree that they arent restaurant food but as pub or take away food they are great. Proccessed crap also jas no place beinh passed off as schnitzel.

Got to respect tthe origin of the food though. Love german food.
What about a German restaurant?

I was so keen on a Wiener Schnitzel from Melbourne's Hofbrauhaus the other night, but alas, fully booked, and none could be consumed.

The old koliba on johnston street (collingwood, VIC) (now called heart of europe but still same people and focussing on Eastern European food) do great schnitzels.

Tap kruscovice and budvar too.

manticle said:
The old koliba on johnston street (collingwood, VIC) (now called heart of europe but still same people and focussing on Eastern European food) do great schnitzels.

Tap kruscovice and budvar too.
Hmm... might have to pay them a visit. Thanks for the heads up.

Back