Scaling up kit brews

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gryphon556

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I currently have 12 kit brews under my belt - mostly good, only one failure and a couple of stand out ones. However I'm wanting to scale it up a bit. At the moment I have a 30Lt primary fermentor and a 25Lt secondary fermentor which works well for the most part, I give a brew a week in the primary and by then the frothing is long gone, syphon it into the secondary for another week or two while i start a new batch in the 30Lt.

But I've just now got a stock of bottles where I would like to scale this up so I can do a big run say once a month and let them condition for a good amount of time (1-3 months) without having to buy say another two 30Lt fermentors, 1) because they're not that cheap and 2) because that add more work as far as cleaning goes. Problem is, I can't seem to find anything suitable to use as a fermentor around the 100Lt capacity mark. Seems after you get to the 25 - 30lt mark the next step up is a 200lt drum which is a little too much for me.

I'm certain I can't be the first to think about doing 3 - 4x scale kit runs to up the output and build a stock that can condition to it's full potential without all the extra working cleaning and sanatizing extra fermentors.

Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated :)

For interests sake my current favorite brew:
Coopers standard Lager
1kg Brew Enhancer 2
500 - 600g Dry light malt
Made up to 23 - 24Lt

Easy, pretty cheap and IMHO a pretty decent beer, especially given 1-3 months to condition :)

I'm guessing almost all LHBS would carry 60 litre FVs. They're great unless you need to carry a full one around. I think I paid $60 or $70 for mine. Of course you can go all the way up to $800 and well beyond as well.

Just found the perfect fermenter for you.

http://www.bunnings.com.au/maze-100l-rainwater-mini-tank_p3130198
e15fbe6e-3ee7-4a7d-a17d-d17cca5d41ba.jpg

haa. Actually that 1st 60lt linked is the previouse type. The 60lt fermenter now is much better at the same price. It has the swinging handles each side and a two piece lid (like canning jars style).
Like this:

yes mate…no problem, check out brew mate & beer smith software, they will help you taylor your brews per volume.

i mucked around with this once, but I just do 2x brews in the 60ltr as per the photo above & a different brew in my 30ltr.

you can squeeze 3x brews in the 60ltr but you run out of head room & is a couple of litres less water per brew, which you could scale down your malts etc, but i never did. turned out ok.

But i read about aeration & oxygen requirements for yeast, so now i shake the shite out of my fermenters which gives me about 20cm of froth hence the need for head room.Thats why i stick with two brews in the 60 and 1 in the 30, gives me 3 brews which i'm happy with. I'd use 2x 60ltrs if i could, but they won't fit in my fridge.

the drawback of big volume brews is that if you get an infection, you've lost the lot, if it's a bad brew your stuck with drinking it for while & as antiphile said it's hard to move if you need to. Plus i get sick of the same beer all the time and like to mix them up between lagers & ales.

You also mentioned you use a secondary, how will do that when you get the 100ltr fermenter? will you end up having to buy buying another fermenter?

I would also steep some grain in your brew if you are going to do such a big batch, carapils or carahell, you'll be amazed at the difference in head retention.

good luck!

Latest posts

Back